True Strike while grappled?

kreynolds

First Post
Thels said:
I think the deal here is that True Strike already was casted successfully before he went into combat.

From my point of view, it doesn't matter when the spell was cast at all, as a grapple check is not an attack. It is the result of a grab. From the FAQ...

When you roll to confirm a critical, you use whatever bonuses applied to the attack roll that made the threat, no matter where those bonuses came from.
&nbsp&nbsp&nbspTrue strike affects only one attack. (Rolling to confirm a critical is not a separate attack for this purpose.) If you make multiple attacks in a round, your bonus from true strike applies only to the first attack you make, no matter how you managed to get multiple attacks.

The way I read that, if the fighter with true strike is the one that started the grapple, then he would indeed get the +20 bonus to his check. I don't know if that's the way you're supposed to do it, but that's the way I've done it in the past (only came up once or twice). Anyhow, since the fighter didn't start the grapple, and since the grapple check is not an attack (it's a _check_), then I wouldn't give the bonus.

That's just me though.

Last edited:

LokiDR

First Post
kreynolds said:

The way I read that, if the fighter with true strike is the one that started the grapple, then he would indeed get the +20 bonus to his check. I don't know if that's the way you're supposed to do it, but that's the way I've done it in the past (only came up once or twice). Anyhow, since the fighter didn't start the grapple, and since the grapple check is not an attack (it's a _check_), then I would give the bonus.

That's just me though.

I agree that true strike can not assist a grapple CHECK but does work for the touch ATTACK to start the grapple, from a rule perspective.

Then again, I think the entire grapple system is cubersome and in desperate need of revision. There should be at least some magic that assists this check directly. Heres to hoping for something better in 3.5.

kreynolds

First Post
For starters, I screwed up in my post above. I said "would" when I meant to say "wouldn't". Glad you caught my meaning though. :)

LokiDR said:
I agree that true strike can not assist a grapple CHECK but does work for the touch ATTACK to start the grapple, from a rule perspective.

Absolutely.

LokiDR said:
Then again, I think the entire grapple system is cubersome and in desperate need of revision. There should be at least some magic that assists this check directly.

There is. I know I've seen a power that grants a nice big fat bonus to grapple checks, and I've seen a magic item that does the same thing (gloves of wrestling, or something like that). I agree that the grappling system is rather boring, if not clunky.

LokiDR

First Post
kreynolds said:
There is. I know I've seen a power that grants a nice big fat bonus to grapple checks, and I've seen a magic item that does the same thing (gloves of wrestling, or something like that). I agree that the grappling system is rather boring, if not clunky.

I think the gloves are "sure grip", but I am too lazy to look it up.

I have never seen a spell to do it, psionics not withstanding.

If this is a core-rules mechanic, shouldn't there be more in core rules to deal with it? Then again, there are lots of clunky mechanics in 3e (AoOs anyone?).

kreynolds

First Post
LokiDR said:
I have never seen a spell to do it, psionics not withstanding.

I though I had seen a spell. Here's a snip...

This spell causes two additional arms to grow from your sides and coordinate their efforts to help you grapple another creature. These extra arms give you a +4 circumstance bonus to grapple checks you make while the spell is in effect. The arms are not coordinated enough to wield weapons, manipulate tools, or perform any action other than grappling.

If your caster level is at least 9th, you grow four additional arms, and the circumstance bonus increases to +8.

The spell is called Fearsome Grapple, and it's from the Wizard's online spellbook. I'll see if I can find the psionic power...

daemonslye

First Post
TS vs Swallow Whole?

This got me thinking:

Assuming you are facing a nasty creature that can swallow
whole, say, your friendly neighborhood lucent worm:

turn 1: "that's a funny looking purple worm..."
you use your stone
turn 2: worm charges and hits, you fail against its
+46 grapple attempt; you take all sorts of damage;
your buddies see your legs flailing from the creatures
mouth;
turn 3: you use your action to escape with an opposed
grapple at +20 (..or because you dont need to make
a touch attack, you *don't* get the bonus??);
turn 4: etc.

Does true strike add to your opposed grapple to leave
the worms mouth?

...At the risk of digressing, um, what happens to the ioun
stone if there is no room for it to orbit around your head?

Thanks,

~D

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Re: TS vs Swallow Whole?

daemonslye said:
Does true strike add to your opposed grapple to leave
the worms mouth?

Just like the example in the first post, the character didn't start the grapple. The monster did. I wouldn't give the bonus in those circumstances. In the past, however, I've given the bonus if the _character_ started the grapple.

kreynolds

First Post
LokiDR said:
Can I cast fuse arms after that spell for unnamed strength bonuses?

I'd say no, since they aren't real arms. The only thing they can do is aid in a grapple, and real arms can do far more than that. :)

Remove ads