Trust THE COMPUTER. THE COMPUTER is your friend.

phloog

First Post
Won't this be fun! You will find it fun!

Echoing many of the thoughts here, some memorable events from Paranoia games past (some of this might have been from published modules - I was only a lowly player clone)

1) Have a robot that will actually give one answer to a PC, and a different answer to a superior. I recall a player being ordered to turn on the bots remote sensors. He told the bot to do this, and the bot said 'Sensors On!', then the superior asked the player if he'd done it (and he said Yes). Then he asked the BOT, and the bot said 'Why....no...' POOF!

2) If your players are into such things, have them right up Mission Reviews in their own words at the end of missions...this can get them or their friends killed for treason, and is a good way for you to have more laughs as you hear how they manipulate the truth.

3) Experimental Equipment - Your players will want Experimental Equipment! Serve the Computer! The Computer does not make faulty equipment. Any malfunctions are likely due to traitorous action.

4) Don't skimp on Secret Society stuff - - each player should have one or more objectives within their SecSoc.

5) Mutant powers. Put in a couple of situations where the players must decide between using their mutant powers or having a tough time.

That's it from me.

Woas

First Post
I have a quick question, what versions of Paranoia are out there? I know of the game, watched/heard it played at various Albany Gamedays (never had a chance to sign up for a game of it yet) and it always looked hilariously fun.

So for someone who doesn't own any Paranoia game books but would like to, what is the latest/greatest versions of the game and what company(ies) print them?

Thanks a bunch!:cool:

phloog

First Post
I wouldn't necessarily equate latest to greatest...I played the first edition and loved it..the last one I played (not sure which version)? Not so much. If you can get the first one cheap for me that was just fine and dandy.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I have a quick question, what versions of Paranoia are out there? I know of the game, watched/heard it played at various Albany Gamedays (never had a chance to sign up for a game of it yet) and it always looked hilariously fun.

So for someone who doesn't own any Paranoia game books but would like to, what is the latest/greatest versions of the game and what company(ies) print them?
All versions of Paranoia are perfect. The Computer created them, and you wouldn't want to try and find fault with the Computer, would you? That being said, some versions are more perfect than others.

1st edition is quite hard to find. It's much darker, and has some overly complicated rules. I own it but I've never played it.

2nd edition is glorious. The books have the worst binding of any RPG book I own -- pages seem to fall out of them willy-nilly, and lots of copies are misbound - but the rules are robust and incredibly fun. This is the version I fell in love with. If you can find a copy, buy it.

Paranoia 5th Edition (they skipped up from 2nd) is an abomination that we all pretend doesn't actually exist. Well intentioned, but poorly executed.

Mongoose has, in print, a new version of Paranoia that was called Paranoia XP until Microsoft objected. It's pretty darn good, and well worth buying and playing if you can't find 2nd edition.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Don't forget the classic bureaucratic runaround. The characters have to retrieve an item. Department A requires a certain form that can only be gotten from Department B. Department B requires that you have to have a form from Department C to get the form for Department A. Department C requires that you have a form from Department A for the form from Department C that will get you the form from Department B that will get you the form for Department A.

Understand. Misunderstanding the computer's instructions is treason. Computer, Computer Uber Alles.

[This would be more funny if it didn't happen to me when I was in college]

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Mongoose has, in print, a new version of Paranoia that was called Paranoia XP until Microsoft objected. It's pretty darn good, and well worth buying and playing if you can't find 2nd edition.

Hey, you'd think that Microsoft would realise that their operating system is miles away from a rogue computer that wants to kill everyone treasonous.

Oh, wait...

:)

Remove ads