Trying to decide on my next purchase...

Which should I buy next?

• Poll closed .

Krieg

First Post
OK I've narrowed it down to the four books listed above.

Now it's your turn to pimp your choice...and more importantly why

Flyspeck23

First Post
If you're running Eberron, than Sharn is a must-have. If not, then not - although it's still one of the better books done by WotC of late.

scourger

Explorer
Well, I've got Slavelords of Cydonia on order, so my vote goes for it. My FLGS has taken 3 weeks, and it's still not here. Sometimes, I hate the FLGS. I really want to read this module. It just sounds too cool. I don't have Grim Tales nor do I really care to invest in it, but this adventure sounds very intriguing.

Second choice would be the Dragonlance book. Isn't that an adventure?

A distant third is the Eberron book. I know very little about it or Eberron at all, but I'm pretty sure it's not an adventure. The bonus city maps on the WotC web site look pretty cool, though.

Last is the official book, Complete--Whatever. Sounds like a splat book. I'm certain there are no adventures in there (yes, there's a trend).

Turanil

First Post
I voted Slavelords of Cydonia.

My rationale is that this is the purchase who will give you the most with regard of usefulness /time-saved for your money.

Well, three of these books I am interested in, the fourth (Sharn) not; so I am biased of course. Also, I assumed you intend to DM / run a game, not just be a player and buy for reading sake...

-- Complete Adventurer: (PC crunch) Seems to be an excellent supplement. However, it will be probably useful only a couple of times, mainly for one player character and a few feats. You could use it to design NPCs, but it will take time, and players won't really see the difference between a true ninja NPC, and a pseudo ninja NPC made with rogue + assassin.
-- Sharn: City of Towers: (city setting) Probably a cool supplement if you run Eberron. However, it's useful only for background info, and thus requires of you to have Eberron book, and then either buy more stuff or create adventures yourself.
-- Slavelords of Cydonia: (adventure + small setting book) You only need to have Grim Tales. Then, you have a module spanning an entire 1st to 20th level campaign. As such it saves you a lot of work, and doesn't require to buy anything else to immediately run a campaign. BUT you and your players will have to like this kind of different setting and d20 rules.
-- War of the Lance: (setting book) Probably an interesting read if you run a Dragonlance campaign. However, same comment as for Eberron: you need the Dragonlance sourcebook as well, and still must buy some adventures or write them yourself.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
War of the Lance. As a long time gamer I'm sure you've had some experience with Dragonlance and even if you are not running the setting this book gives so many gamers what we have been waiting for: the War of the Lance and playing in that time period. I have not played a DL game in ages, but the books are high quality and really capture pretty much everything I liked about the setting while moving away from the modules that killed it.

However, my second choice would be C Adv since it would be the most useful out of all 4 books. Not really that inspiring or creative but useful.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
While Sharn is a cool Eberron book, it's also a cool book. If you're running Eberron, it's almost a must. If you're not running Eberron, it has some great ideas and features.

pogre

Legend
The mass combat system alone is enough reason to go for Slavelords. Even DMs who do not own Grim Tales can get use out of the adventure IMO. It is really a cool idea book. Plus it is written by a fellow ENWorlder!

Remove ads