D&D 5E Trying to pick a FR deity for a character concept

Argyle King

Legend
This started out as one question, but turned into a group of them, so bear with me for a moment...

In my head, I've been considering a few different options for my next Encounters character. I wanted to (as I mentioned in some other threads) play something with spells so that I could see how magic works while using a packet which is (I believe) closer to what the end product will look like. However, I considered that just being a straight wizard would be boring for me; I like to mix it up in melee from time to time. With that in mind, I decided that a more physical or martially-minded cleric might be a good choice for me. What I had in mind was a Cleric (or possibly Paladin) of Kord. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a good Forgotten Realms analogy for Kord. I did a few search via Google; I also asked a few of my friends who are more familiar with FR. Tempus seems to be the most common answer I get, but his portfolio doesn't quite cover what I wanted from being a follower of Kord. In my head, my concept wasn't a cleric of war, but someone who was the epitome of physical strength and perfection. For a lack of better words, the character I had in mind was something along the lines of the stereotypical 'meat head.' This youtube clip does a pretty good job of summing up what I was going for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sTfYPJ8d2g

So, is there a better FR deity choice than Tempus to represent physical strength?

That was my original question, but, since I haven't found exactly what I was looking for, I started to adjust my concept. Instead of strength, I had considered a cleric who worships war and combat as a concept. This is somewhat covered by Tempus, but I'm not sure if that's the best fit. What I had in mind was a guy who is something of a mercenary, but a mercenary who has a code of honor. Perhaps he was a former soldier who became jaded with what he once did believe in. Unfortunately, he found that putting the sword down wasn't an option for him; being a soldier is what he knows how to do, and he is naturally good at it. At first this sounds like a fighter, but it goes beyond that. In my head, he has what I suppose you could say is a supernatural connection to the concept of war. The best way I can think of how to explain it is a more war-like version of Fharlanghn; the character being something of a wandering ronin. Doing some research into Forgotten Realms, Helm seemed like a good candidate, but I'm told he no longer exists. The character is a mercenary in so much that he'll work for money, but he still does follow a code of sorts. Part of his code is that once he takes a job, he completes it regardless of how others view the morality of the employer. He also takes a dim view of what he views as cowardice, shirking responsibility, and warriors who don't take care of their equipment; he also dislikes.

So, for this concept, is Tempus the best choice? Tempus seems more attuned to large scale conflict.

Argyle King

Legend
Haela seems too chaotic for what I'm going for.

The Red Knight might work, but that still seems geared toward war on a larger scale. What I have in mind is a character who would be skilled in tactics, but, as a divine concept, war and conflict would be things he'd more personally embody. He'd prefer to lead from the front because he sees that as being honorable and sees being personally involved in a conflict as an almost religious experience.

PinkRose

Explorer
I have to say Red Knight is the deity you are looking for.
It sounds like she's exactly what you describe. Leading from the front and all that.
If not then it's up to you.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Tempus seems like the best match.

As for Helm, apparently this is what happened during the 4e transition: Helm was killed by Tyr, Tyr was killed by demons, they were both absorbed by Bahamut, and Bahamut was absorbed by Torm. Given the convoluted history, and the Sundering restoring the classic FR gods, I'd say Helm is a valid choice.

exile

First Post
To me, this sounds like a cleric of Tom who has been divested in some way from the church and/or his liege.

Going back to your original concept, I know the Church of Lathander produces quite a few athletes. The Church of Ogema is also known for its wrestlers.

Argyle King

Legend
Tempus seems like the best match.

On Helm: Sometime during the 4e transition, Helm was killed by Tyr, Tyr was killed by demons, they were both absorbed by Bahamut, and Bahamut was absorbed by Torm. Given the convoluted history, and the Sundering restoring the classic FR gods, I think most DMs would allow you to choose Helm.

The story behind Helm sticking fast to his duty to keep other gods out of (I forget where,) is why I thought he'd be a good fit. Despite the mercenary nature of the character, I see him being very much LN; if he takes a job, he sticks to it (unless the person who hired him welches on paying or in some way breaks the deal.) On a more personal level, he simply accepts that killing is what he's good at and embraces his nature... not necessarily enjoying it per se, but seeing conflict and combat as a spiritual part of his being.

I guess, really, if I wanted to, I could just make something up. For an Encounters season, I suppose the fine details aren't so important, but I'd like to try picking a suitable choice from the source material if one is available.

exile

First Post
To me, this sounds like a cleric of Torm who has been divested in some way from the church and/or his liege.

Going back to your original concept, I know the Church of Lathander produces quite a few athletes. The Church of Oghma is also known for its wrestlers.

Argyle King

Legend
To me, this sounds like a cleric of Torm who has been divested in some way from the church and/or his liege.

Going back to your original concept, I know the Church of Lathander produces quite a few athletes. The Church of Oghma is also known for its wrestlers.

Torm seems like it would work. I've been reading some of the fluff. In particular, something similar to the Eye of Justice sect seems to fit. Perhaps he was once a zealous and fervent believer in the more mainstream version of the faith, but has since started to change his views. Not 'fallen' in the sense that he no longer believes; he simply believes differently now.

Remove ads