TSR TSR's Amazing Accounting Department

Sacrosanct

Legend
At some point "I could care less, but it's not likely" became a popular phrase. People began using the first bit, with the rest being implied, more than the full phrase, and the next thing you know, "I could care less" became commonly used to say "I don't care very much."

This is the last I'll comment on this because I don't want to derail and I'm the one who originally brought it up. No, this isn't true. Just because many people used it wrong doesn't suddenly make it an acceptable phrase. "I could care less" means you do care on some level. Every time someone uses it, the context was "I don't care at all". They meant the correct phrase "I couldn't care less." It's just like because many people say "irregardless" doesn't suddenly make that accurate. Or how when lots of people say "with baited breath" it doesn't make it suddenly correct when it's actually "bated breath". Or "slight of hand", or "beck and call", or "proof is in the pudding" or "for all intensive purposes" or any other number of cases.

Just because a lot of people make a mistake doesn't mean they are correct, or that our language suddenly changed to make it accurate.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
This is the last I'll comment on this because I don't want to derail and I'm the one who originally brought it up. No, this isn't true. Just because many people used it wrong doesn't suddenly make it an acceptable phrase. "I could care less" means you do care on some level. Every time someone uses it, the context was "I don't care at all". They meant the correct phrase "I couldn't care less." It's just like because many people say "irregardless" doesn't suddenly make that accurate. Or how when lots of people say "with baited breath" it doesn't make it suddenly correct when it's actually "bated breath". Or "slight of hand", or "beck and call", or "proof is in the pudding" or "for all intensive purposes" or any other number of cases.

Just because a lot of people make a mistake doesn't mean they are correct, or that our language suddenly changed to make it accurate.

I could care fewer.

Sacrosanct

Legend
If we could travel back in time and introduce Agile and Lean methods, it sure seems like they would've helped TSR.

If we could travel back in time and introduce Agile and Lean methods, it sure seems like they would've helped TSR.

Double posts aren't unusual. But 12 minutes apart? LOL.

Also, I hate Agile. I can see the benefit of Agile, but in my experience using it (I am a project manager for a large company), the actual amount of work you get done compared to waterfall is much less. Spending so much time talking about backlogs and burn down charts and stand up meetings, that you have less time to actually work on your project. Sprint planning never goes as planned or is finished on time, which causes delayed sign off, and people keep trying to change the acceptance criteria after user stories have been signed off. People seem to think that because there is no formalized and approved FSD or BRD, that means requirements are fluid and can change at any time, even after the QA process has begun. It's frustrating. But it's the big thing right now. Like Six Sigma (also garbage for any non-production line environments) was 15 years ago.

Remove ads