TTRPGs - With or Without Reality?

C-Moon

Suzerain Infomancer
When designing Suzerain we try to make sure that players have a true feeling of hope and that they can each make a difference. Obviously with 2020 going the way it has/is, I’ve been wondering - Do you play TTRPGs to escape reality or to address issues within it? Or both?

With our upcoming Kickstarter for our new book (more info here) and just being TTRPG fans, this is a big thing for us to understand. After all, how can you design something for players if you never ask them what they want! :D

(Picture is Baron Wolfhaven left and his player Howard right, as part of the Legends Awaken initiative!)

Attachments

• Wolfhaven_And_Howard.png
    Wolfhaven_And_Howard.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 121

C-Moon

Suzerain Infomancer
My players have stated a desire to not have game content particularly matching real-world events at the moment.

That's understandable, as I say, I personally feel it's important to talk about not only as part of the creation of TTRPG content but as a player. I don't think one is better than the other, but wanting the escapism is definitely understandable due to recent events

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's understandable, as I say, I personally feel it's important to talk about not only as part of the creation of TTRPG content but as a player. I don't think one is better than the other, but wanting the escapism is definitely understandable due to recent events

I think "escapism" may have inaccurate connotations here. I think that, for many now, it is less "escapism" and more "self care". If I have a sprained ankle, I am likely to want to keep off it. That is less about "escaping" my pain than it is about allowing it to heal and not making a real and current injury worse.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It's a bit of both for me - in fact, part of my preferred escapism is envisioning a world in which I have the power to affect the world around me in a more fantastic/heroic/far reaching manner than I have.

C-Moon

Suzerain Infomancer
It's a bit of both for me - in fact, part of my preferred escapism is envisioning a world in which I have the power to affect the world around me in a more fantastic/heroic/far reaching manner than I have.

This is more so the escapism I was exploring

jasper

Rotten DM
When designing Suzerain we try to make sure that players have a true feeling of hope and that they can each make a difference. Obviously with 2020 going the way it has/is, I’ve been wondering -
1.Do you play TTRPGs to escape reality or
2. to address issues within it?
3. Or both?
As a long time GM. If you are doing 2 or 3 please leave my table and get PROFESSIONAL help. Or if you doing 3. PLEASE TELL me.

ccs

41st lv DM
4-5 hours of escapism/not worrying about the RL crap going on please.
Now of course the RL stuff will come up throughout the session as we bs almost as much as we play.... But game wise? No, we're not using our games/characters to address real world stuff.

Remove ads