D&D General Turgenev's Friday Freebie Maps

Turgenev

Hero
Are you familiar with UK5 Eye of the Serpent? It's one of those obscure modules that I have fond memories of. The terrain forms the actual walls of the dungeon.
Yup, I have it in my collection. I see what you mean and no, I don't have anything like that. At least not at the time of this post. It is something I may explore at a later date.

Cheers,
Tim

Are you familiar with UK5 Eye of the Serpent? It's one of those obscure modules that I have fond memories of. The terrain forms the actual walls of the dungeon.

This was a favorite of mine back in the day. Ran it for at least five different groups. I'm not sure, however, if any group ever made it to the end. I think it was a common pickup for one-shots, but it actually takes longer than a typical session to complete it. I wonder how it holds up now? Too linear? Heavy-handed start?

This was a favorite of mine back in the day. Ran it for at least five different groups. I'm not sure, however, if any group ever made it to the end. I think it was a common pickup for one-shots, but it actually takes longer than a typical session to complete it. I wonder how it holds up now? Too linear? Heavy-handed start?
It fits quite well into two sessions, with a natural break.

If you think about it it isn't actually any more linear than an underground dungeon. I would say the "heavy handed" bit happens before the start. You all meet in a roc's nest. When you are dealing with new players (which is how I have used it) it's a good idea not to throw too many choices at them all at once.

Of course if you have a character with flying at level 1 it changes the dynamic a bit.

Turgenev

Hero
Here is the May 14th, 2021 Friday Freebie map. It's the final map for this series. Click to enlarge.

Map Details:
  • Grid Size: 36x46 10' Squares (72 dpi); VTT Size: 1229x1578
  • This is map five of five.
  • Areas 1 and 8 have pillars.
  • Areas 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 have covered pit traps.
  • Areas 1, 8, 9 a), and 10 a) have statues.
  • Area 7 has a tapestry.
  • Area 9 a) has daises/raised platforms.
  • Areas 9 a) and 10 a) have braziers.
  • Area 9 b) is a multi-level dais.
  • Area 9 c) has a thaumaturgic circle.
  • Area 10 a) has a pool/fountain.
  • Areas 10 b), 10 c), and 11 have teleporting pillars. Areas 10 b) is connected to area 15 from the April 30th 2021 Friday Freebie/Enhanced map. Area 10 c) connects to area 11.
  • The grey of area 16 a) represents water.
  • Area 16 b) is a small island.
  • Area 18 is a depression in the ground.

Here is how the five maps fit together. Click to enlarge.

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: Friday Enhanced Map: 05-14-2021 - Paratime Design | Dungeon Maps | DriveThruRPG.com

The May 14th, 2021 Friday Enhanced Map product contains a multi-layered PDF (allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, secret doors on or off, and grid or no grid, and all permutations) and a zip file with all relevant (16) map files as individual jpg images. The Enhanced map has a grid size of 36x46 10’ Squares (72 dpi); VTT Size: 2458x3156. All for $2 (US).

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

Turgenev

Hero
I've updated the April 2nd, 2021 Friday Freebie map even further. I've added a teleporter. Click to enlarge.

Map Details:
  • Area 1 has steps that lead up to a raised entrance.
  • Areas 1, 2, 3 b), 8, 11, 12, 19, 20, 30, 31, and 32 have statues.
  • Areas 3 a), 4, 11, 13, 16, 19, 22, 41, 32, 35, 37, and 40 b) have pillars.
  • Area 10 has a connection to another plane/dimension (the Shadowfell/some Lovecraftian location) hence the strange colour of the room.
  • Areas 12 b), 20 b), and 32 b) are raised platforms/daises.
  • Areas 12 b), 20 b), 32 b), and 40 b) have altars.
  • Area 21 could easily connect to some underwater location (a Kuo-Toa/Sahuagin/Deep One lair?).
  • Areas 21, 39, and 40 a) represent water. While not shown on the map, there could easily be submerged connecting tunnels between areas 39 and 40 a).
  • Areas 36 and 40 h) are connected by teleporters.

I have an enhanced version of this map for sale here: Colour Dungeon #1 - Paratime Design | Dungeon Maps | DriveThruRPG.com

It contains a multi-layered PDF (allowing the options of numbered or non-numbered areas, secret doors on or off, and grid or no grid, and all permutations) and a zip file with all relevant (8) map files as individual jpg images. The map has a grid size of 36x46 10’ Squares (72 dpi); VTT Size: 2458x3156. All for $4 (US).

Cheers,
Tim

Turgenev

Hero
Here is the May 21st, 2021 Friday Freebie map. Click to enlarge.

Map Details:
  • The grey sections of areas 1 b), 15 b), 20, and 21 a) represent water.
  • The row of dots in the water passages represent bars/gates.
  • Areas 1 b), 11, 12, 15 a), and 21 c) have statues.
  • Areas 3, 4, 18, and 26 have false doors.
  • Areas 3 and 17 have covered pit traps.
  • Areas 3, 11, 12, 13 a), 15 a), 19, 21 c), and 23 have braziers.
  • Areas 5, 11, 12, 13, 15, and 21 b) have pillars.
  • Areas 11 and 12 have daises/raised platforms (or alternatively, the steps could lead down instead of up).
  • Area 13 has a bridge crossing the water channel.
  • Area 19 has a tapestry.
  • The stairs at area 19 lead down.
  • Areas 22, 21 b), and 21 c) have open arches.
  • Area 23 has an open pit/well.
  • Area 25 has a large open pit.

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: Friday Enhanced Map: 05-21-2021 - Paratime Design | Dungeon Maps | DriveThruRPG.com

The May 21st, 2021 Friday Enhanced Map product contains a multi-layered PDF (allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, secret doors on or off, and grid or no grid, and all permutations) and a zip file with all relevant (16) map files as individual jpg images. The Enhanced map has a grid size of 36x46 10’ Squares (72 dpi); VTT Size: 2458x3156. All for $2 (US).

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

Turgenev

Hero
Here is the May 28th, 2021 Friday Freebie map. Click to enlarge.

Map Details:
  • The dash lines are elevation lines showing the lower elevation (in relation to the upper level).
  • The arrows represent downward slopes.
  • Area 3 a) and b) represent a cliff ledge. Area 3 c) is at a lower elevation than areas 3 a) and b).
  • Areas 9 b), 10, and 12 b) represent molten magma. Several submerged tunnels at areas 10 a) to d) feed magma up to this section, and it slowly flows into area 9 b), and then continues to area 12 b) where it tumbles into the chasm.
  • Area 11 has a heated gas/steam cloud filling the tunnel (the water underneath the tunnel is heated by the nearby magma tunnels of area 10, causing steam to erupt from the floor and lower walls).
  • Area 12 has a chasm in the centre of it. There may be a chance of toxic volcanic fumes may drift up from the chasm. Area 12 a) represents the walkway that surrounds the chasm. Area 12 b) is a lava falls.
  • Area 15 a) has pillars.
  • Area 15 b) has a sarcophagus on a dais.
  • Areas 15 b) and 16 have statues.
  • Area 16 has an open pit/well. Perhaps the pit has molten magma at the bottom of it.
  • Area 17 is a covered pit trap.
  • Area 18 has natural pillars.
  • Area 19 has a tapestry.
  • Area 21 has a pool/fountain and a full-size mirror.
  • Area 22 b) has a natural chimney to the surface.

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: Friday Enhanced Map: 05-28-2021 - Paratime Design | Dungeon Maps | DriveThruRPG.com

The May 28th, 2021 Friday Enhanced Map product contains a multi-layered PDF (allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, secret doors on or off, and grid or no grid, and all permutations) and a zip file with all relevant (16) map files as individual jpg images. The Enhanced map has a grid size of 36x46 10’ Squares (72 dpi); VTT Size: 2458x3156. All for $2 (US).

Cheers,
Tim

Remove ads