TV shows that improved on the source

There are many examples of TV series inspired by a successful novel or movie. Usually, fans regard them as inferior to the source material, but sometimes exceptions exist. Sometimes even an inferior series might be better in some aspect.

It may controversial but I'm going to say 13 Reasons Why (I have yet to watch thee last season) the show goes beyond just Clay's view and shows the full impact of Hannah's actions, however I felt there wasn't a reason beyond shock view for the change to how she committed suicide.

What about you, what tv shows do you feel has improved upon the source material?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The Clone Wars took an unlikeable character from the movies (teenaged Anakin Skywalker) and made him grow up, become more mature. He learned to resist following his impulses and gained a bigger 'playbook' than powerhousing his way through difficulties via 'I am the strongest in the Force'. I saw only a scattering of episodes in no particular order, but this Anakin you could root for and sympathise with his troubles.

Zardnaar

Legend
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (though aspects have not aged well it was still much better than the film)
Stargate SG-1

Stargate Atlantis;)

Another +1 for Sarah Connor Chronicles.

TV show Highlander was better than everything else except maybe the original.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Even though Season two is pretty bad (and I haven't watched S:3 yet).....Westworld.
I stopped watching season 3, its quite a swerve from the earlier seasons
I actually liked the Yul Brynner movie and I'm not sure if it and the series are even comparable. The series season 1 is a good story that uses the same tropes in a different direction.

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
I stopped watching season 3, its very different.
I actually liked the Yul Brynner movie and I'm not sure if it and the series are even comparable. The series season 1 is a good story that uses the same tropes in a different direction.

So I take it season 3 is not an improvement?

Remove ads