• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tweaking Friends/Charm Person

Burrahobbit

Explorer
Building off the discussion of the Friends cantrip...

I'm a little saddened by the notion that victims of both Friends and Charm Person instantly realize they've been had (at least until 14th level). I can understand the game rationale, and there's plenty of cultural precedent for this kind of snapback, but it rather undermines one of the main enchanter archetypes that I'd like to see and play.

I wonder whether it might be an ok fix to give the target a Wisdom save when the spell ends. If the target succeeds, they realize they've been charmed. If not, they remain unaware of the fact. No sure thing (and an extra die roll to slow things down), but it at least preserves the possibility that my enchanter hasn't made enemies out of the entire kingdom by the time he's 14th level.

I realize this tinkers with one of the significant checks on the power of these spells, but the fact that there's always a possibility for the target to realize what's happened should make players think twice about just charming every humanoid they encounter. To be honest, I could be convinced to leave Friends alone, since it's a cantrip and thus lacks the curb on abuse of limited spell slots. But Charm Person, at least, seems to me such a staple of the enchanter's arsenal that I'd like for there to be the possibility for said enchanter to get out of town without being ridden out on a rail.

Remove ads