• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Twin Peeks: Races of Faerun and Arms & Equipment Guide

EricNoah

Adventurer
Janos Antero said:
I knew it'd be epic, but I'm wondering if they'll use circle rules already written, and what it will be able to do that isn't necessarily from the ELH.

The elven high mage has three powers that alternate over 10 levels:

Seed Affinity: choose an epic spell seed -- the Spellcraft DC drops a bit (this has the effect of achieving epic spells at lower levels).

Mythal Invention: may develop a single epic spell for reduced development cost in gold, time and XP.

Bonus Feat: a big list of bonus feats from the Epic Level Handbook.

I don't see anything about them dying. :)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
EricNoah said:

There is one thing besides culture that distinguishes them -- regional feats. There are some new regional feats based on these ethnicities in this book (I didn't really notice that until I was reading more closely yesterday). So PCs of these human groups could have special feats that no others would normally have access to.

Well, we had regianal feats before, and they are open to non-humans from those regions. Are the new ones for humans only?

And the High Mage looks quite OK. Friend of mine made something similar, and I changed that PrC a little so it's epic and more tailored to our campaign.

seankreynolds

Adventurer
EricNoah said:

That's a lot of races that can't be used without the FRCS. There are still a lot of races that do have stat information, but I think the book could have had a much more universal appeal if it had taken the space to outline the racial stats for the various dwarf, elf, halfling, and planetouched sub-races already covered in FRCS.

Well, the FR campaign treats the FRCS as a core book. Duplicating info from the FRCS would be like duplicating info from the PH: redundant, and (while convenient so you wouldn't have to flip between books) wasting space that could otherwise be used for new material.

Edit: ... and that's pretty much been mentioned by other posters. Anyway, if you have RoF, it's assumed you have the FRCS, and given how tight this book was in the first place we thought it better to not C&P the FRCS or PH material.

Last edited:

EricNoah said:

The elven high mage has three powers that alternate over 10 levels:

Seed Affinity: choose an epic spell seed -- the Spellcraft DC drops a bit (this has the effect of achieving epic spells at lower levels).

Mythal Invention: may develop a single epic spell for reduced development cost in gold, time and XP.

Bonus Feat: a big list of bonus feats from the Epic Level Handbook.

I don't see anything about them dying. :)
:O Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Must be hard to get into . . . More than just the skills listed.

I'm betting that Seed Affinity and Mythal Invention only happen once each in 10 (or so) levels . . .

Thanks, Janos!

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm very interested in the avariel. Do they still have the susceptibility to fire, hollow bones, and claustrophobia drawbacks from 2nd edition?

I'm hoping that now they are basically elves with wings, with slightly different ability adjustments and racial bonuses, and a level adjustment instead of all those nasty drawbacks that made them difficult to use in an adventuring party.

Thanks!

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Don't think they still have those drawbacks: As I already said: drow used to lose their abilities when they left the underdark, wood elves had some phobias (either of the sea or of caves, or even both), and has to be played rude to everyone they didn't know (they need about 5 years to learn to know someone). Being friendly to strangers resultet in XP penalties (they actually enforced you to play stereotypes...).

Those things are all gone, so I think they went for the avariel as well.

(Also, bladesingers no longer have to help every elf in need, risking limb and life, and they don't get high prestige on default. I think it's the same with dozens of other classes and races)

Gaius

First Post
Halfling Warsling Sniper

Ahhh, I'm curious about this prestige class, the Halfling Warsling Sniper. I'm on a halfling kick here and this one jumped out at me. My FLGS won't have RoF until Friday, which means that, since that's the start of my work week, I won't really have it until next Tuesday. So would it be too much to get a short preview? Maybe a brief description, a few of the requirements and maybe a class ability or two. Thanks.

Gaius

Olive

Explorer
KaeYoss said:
Don't think they still have those drawbacks: As I already said: drow used to lose their abilities when they left the underdark, wood elves had some phobias (either of the sea or of caves, or even both), and has to be played rude to everyone they didn't know (they need about 5 years to learn to know someone). Being friendly to strangers resultet in XP penalties (they actually enforced you to play stereotypes...).

Those things are all gone, so I think they went for the avariel as well.

(Also, bladesingers no longer have to help every elf in need, risking limb and life, and they don't get high prestige on default. I think it's the same with dozens of other classes and races)

And thank ghod for that... one of the pro-imagination DnD 3e innovations is that DMs get to decide that sort of stuff for themselves.

Remove ads