Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

bmfrosty

Explorer
Are the Moonshae and Border Kingdoms Setting Guides Canon? I just curious if that is part of the agreement between WotC and the respective companies, like how the SCAG is canon, even thu it was written by another company.

They're blessed by WotC by way of the adventures league. There's been some drama about it in some of the AL spaces.

bmfrosty

Explorer
What kind of drama, just curious.

Until this point, everyone doing CCC modules had to stick to the Moonsea Reigon. Now Baldman has exclusive access to write AL legal mods in the Moonshae Isles and GameHole has exclusive permission to write AL legal mods in the Border Kingdoms.

Some people feel that that's unfair.

Until this point, everyone doing CCC modules had to stick to the Moonsea Reigon. Now Baldman has exclusive access to write AL legal mods in the Moonshae Isles and GameHole has exclusive permission to write AL legal mods in the Border Kingdoms.

Some people feel that that's unfair.

As much as some may think it's unfair, for FR fans, it's a real boon. Even if they aren't "officially" canon, they are all but official, and I (and I assume others) would consider them so, especially anything written by Ed himself. I've already purchased the Border Kingdoms book and will do the same with the Moonshae one when it becomes available. Honestly, I would be quite happy if even more regions of the setting were licensed out like this and given detailed coverage!

TheSword

Legend
Which honestly, is why its better its own game then. Its already being aimed at a niche market of a niche market (bored, experienced players looking for a S&S setting), you might as well go whole-hog and redo the rulebook to match it. Maybe licence it out to a 3pp who doesn't mind only selling 10,000's of copies. In fact, the worst thing they could do is market it like another Mordenkainens' Tome of Foes or Tomb of Annihilation style supplement.

Absolute nonesense. Dark Sun AD&D was one of the first campaign sets I bought aged 17. It had nothing to do with being a Jaded Forgotten Realms player. I liked the aesthetic, the eco-warrior vibe, the grim distopian reality and the fact that wizards would slowly turn into dragons by sacrificing thousands of people.

They won’t market it like MToF’s it will be done like Curse of Strahd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
For what it's worth, Keith Baker is on Facebook right now asking for suggestions "to update the list of books, movies, and TV shows that help capture the flavor of Eberron."

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
For what it's worth, Keith Baker is on Facebook right now asking for suggestions "to update the list of books, movies, and TV shows that help capture the flavor of Eberron."

Indiana Jones (film) meets Game of Thrones (tv series and books) meets The Friday Society (book)?

I'm not on Facebook, so I don't know if this is confirmation of Eberron, but boy, do I hope it's the case.

Dark Sun, Eberron, and Dragonlance are my three favorite settings.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Indiana Jones (film) meets Game of Thrones (tv series and books) meets The Friday Society (book)?

I'm not on Facebook, so I don't know if this is confirmation of Eberron, but boy, do I hope it's the case.

Dark Sun, Eberron, and Dragonlance are my three favorite settings.

If memory serves me, Raiders of the Lost Ark was on the "inspiration list" from the original 3.5 Eberron Campaign Setting book

Remathilis

Legend
If memory serves me, Raiders of the Lost Ark was on the "inspiration list" from the original 3.5 Eberron Campaign Setting book

Correct. The list from the ECS of movies was:

Brotherhood of the Wolf
Casablanca
From Hell
The Maltese Falcon
The Mummy
The Name of the Rose
Pirates of the Caribbean
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Sleepy Hollow

Remove ads

Remove ads