Types of Armor in the Campaign World

Steverooo

First Post
Technology is another answer. Most of the forms of armor didn't all exist in the same places at the same times... Maille (D&D "Chainmail", which is a Victorian-era misnomer for what was called a Coat of Maille, back in the day) was used from the Bronze Age up through 19th century Asia. In Roman times, it was called Lorica Hamata. The Centurion's armor was Lorica Segmentata, and about the only other forms were leather and cloth outfits. During Rome's time, the change from Bronze to Iron occurred, so the materials that the armor was made from did, as well (Hadrian's Column shows that his troops had iron armor, for instance).

If you set up your campaign in a similar way, Breastplates and "Chainmail" may be the best armor available. Again, as already pointed out, these armors are hotter, heavier, and pretty hard to swim in. Set your campaign in a Tropical realm, and require heat checks (DC:20 Fortitude saves) every half-hour in Heavy Armor, and every hour in Medium. Two hours in Light. Failure gives Heat Exhaustion, with further rolls for Heat Stroke, thereafter, unless the armor is removed, the warrior cooled down, and rested until the exhaustion wears off.

This, combined with slower movement, should be enough. Later on, when the PCs start adventuring farther afield, you can introduce them to plate in Italia, or whatever. Since most long-distance travel in the ancient world was accomplished by ship, the "Paladin's PJs" (or Maille Hauberks - Chain Shirts, in D&D parlance) should remain quite common.

The Nehwon campaign sourcebook took the "armor is for trouble-makers" approach, and made leather the skullduggers' choice, as it was easy to conceal. If ypu choose to make armor illegal in your base country, then you really will be limiting PC choice (and watch out for that armor addition in the DMG that makes it appear as normal clothing)! You'll basically be limiting the PCs to Cloth, Disguised Leather & Studded Leather, Mithral Shirts (if worn under clothing), and perhaps Dastana and Brigandine (Medium armor which looks the same as studded leather, but the studs hold small metal plates between two layers of leather... found in WotC's Arms & Equipment Guide, IIRC).

IMHO, making armor illegal is a "sucky" way of doing it. Using a (Sub-)Tropical clime with water-based canal travel works much better. If you go with this, hand out a lot of +2 Circumstance Modifiers for doing "smart things", like stepping into a pool or stream to cool off, taking extra salt & water to prevent Heat Exhaustion, etc. That drops the DC from 20 to 18, and allows for a few more hours' adventuring.

If you go with the "Heat" explanation, be sure to show armored guards occassionally passing out, while on duty, guards coming off-shift and stripping off their hot & sweaty armor, Guards & Mercenaries taking off their helmets to dunk their sweat-dripping heads in the horse troughs, and other such stuff. Play up the high heat and humidity in your descriptions, and describe to the PCs how hot and uncomfortable being in their armor is. THEN make them roll the Fortitude Saves! :confused:

I did the "Sub-Tropical Clime" in one game I ran, and had one PC (Flint Farcaster) refuse to lose the Fullplate Armour... He always made his rolls vs. Heat Exhaustion, too... somehow! :p

Bront

The man with the probe
Generaly, I've never had a problem with many people being in heavy armor. Most people only wear light to no armor if anything because it's all the can afford, only only a few are actualy trained to wear it.

S'mon

Legend
HeapThaumaturgist said:
But the thing is, if you're playing with regular D&D, then limiting armor is limiting what people can play. The system is balanced around those heavier armors being in there.

I think this is true to some extent; the Fighter & Paladin classes seem somewhat balanced around having Heavy Armour Proficiency; if you don't use heavy armour there's a good case for giving them an extra feat or skill points. The game is certainly playable without heavy armour though.

One way to approach it is to discard the "everything is available for a price" market capitalist approach of default D&D. In swords & sorcery and fantasy novels it's pretty rare to see protagonists buying equipment, certainly a commoner's ability to buy full plate armour may be rare. Maybe no one makes it, maybe only the armoursmiths of Gondor make it (so maybe the Fighters of Rohan don't get heavy armour prof, they get skill focus: Ride). D&D 3e is based off PCs having a certain amount of equipment by level, but that can be gifts or loot,it doesn't have to be bought.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
By light armor, I mean cloth, padded, leather, studded leather, chain shirts and maybe breastplates. I do intend for there to be some less combat intensive goals, some political ramifications to what the PC's do, and am looking for heroes and villains with flair and panache instead of walking tanks. I intend to place an emphasis on stealth. This is the Gotham-esque setting I posted about a few weeks ago.

For weapons, I am thinking that the predominant ones are light, such as rapiers, daggers, etc. I am going to have them adventure in a wide variety of climates, but there predominant climate will be cool and extremely damp, with a pervasive fog or mist (not mist as in Ravenloft). I feel as if this would cause metal armors to rust more quickly. The land will also be quite marshy in places and there will be SOME water-borne travel.

DM

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Weather conditions: could be too hot or cold to be effective.

Cost: material is hard to get

Law: state or church

Encounter: Monster or event - metal armor could be see as 'body/host' for demons/ghost that cross planes. World could also have lots of lightning...or elements...or rust monsters.

And the simplest reason: Style and Fastion! It is what is hot in the time and place and everyone one is wearing it and you can't find anything else. (those old enough to remember the 70's know what I am talking about).

Lack of iron or lack of steel-making technology, lack of coal/charcoal to heat it up, lots of ship travel or inclement weather, or fashion . . .

In my campaign, I allow all the standard armors, plus ancient Greek hoplite armor (there's a small holdout, isolated culture with that in my version of Greyhawk, on the northern edge of the Sea of Dust). Most popular seem to be lorica segmenta (banded armor), chainmail, chain shirt, studded leather, and full plate. It helps if the magic treasure has the "cool" armor in it, instead of the stuff you don't like. :cool:

EdL

First Post
wolf70 said:
In trying to set a flavor and style for the campaign world I am working on, I am thinking that the predominant armor would be lighter and less restrictive of movement, but I am having a hard time justifying it. In tossing ideas back and forth with others (not my players) online, it has been pointed out that if there are no firearms, then heavy armor would still be the norm. I am assuming a late medeival technology level, with some advancements being made in the medical arts and sciences such as astronomy, etc. I just don't want firearms to be a viable PC option at this point. Flavor-wise, I see light armor being the norm, but why? There certainly would be some privileged knights and such who would still wear it, but other than that, I am thinking it is largely ceremonial. I could use Defense bonuses to mechanically encourage it, but I was told that it sounds like I am just trying to limit player choice (which was portrayed as a "bad thing (tm)").

Can somebody help me figure this out?

DM

You could make it known to the players that most enchanted armors, and weapons, are of the varity that you want. (Like the old 1e high percentage chance that a magic sword would be a longsword.) Add in the style suggestion made above and you're getting there.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Steverooo said:
Technology is another answer. Most of the forms of armor didn't all exist in the same places at the same times... Maille (D&D "Chainmail", which is a Victorian-era misnomer for what was called a Coat of Maille, back in the day) was used from the Bronze Age up through 19th century Asia. In Roman times, it was called Lorica Hamata. The Centurion's armor was Lorica Segmentata, and about the only other forms were leather and cloth outfits. During Rome's time, the change from Bronze to Iron occurred, so the materials that the armor was made from did, as well (Hadrian's Column shows that his troops had iron armor, for instance).

This is a great explanation, but I wanted to point out for completeness' sake that Lorica Segmentata is a modern term, not a period Latin term. (I'm not sure if Lorica Hamata is modern or ancient; does anyone here know?)

Last edited:

Remove ads