Ultimate Magus

Thiles Targon

First Post
Probably been asked a bunch of times but…
When an Ultimate magus uses the augmented casting ability to add a meta-magic feat is it considered spontaneous meta-magic? I assume if boosting a prepared spell the answer is no, if casting for the sorcerer side the answer is yes.
Are there any level limits that must be met? Does the caster have to be able to cast spells of the resulting level? Can it exceed 9 th level? If I were casting hold person could I add 5 heightened levels even though I could not cast 8th level spells. What about heightened dominate person 5 levels to 10 th level.
The spell can’t have been memorized as meta-magic, but can a meta-magic rod be used as well?

TanisFrey

First Post
Probably been asked a bunch of times but…
When an Ultimate magus uses the augmented casting ability to add a meta-magic feat is it considered spontaneous meta-magic? I assume if boosting a prepared spell the answer is no, if casting for the sorcerer side the answer is yes.
Are there any level limits that must be met? Does the caster have to be able to cast spells of the resulting level? Can it exceed 9 th level? If I were casting hold person could I add 5 heightened levels even though I could not cast 8th level spells. What about heightened dominate person 5 levels to 10 th level.
The spell can’t have been memorized as meta-magic, but can a meta-magic rod be used as well?
There are limits about how high of an metamagic level adjustment that the Ultimate magus can do on the fly by burning off spell slots, read the class abilities closer.

Herzog

Adventurer
There are limits about how high of an metamagic level adjustment that the Ultimate magus can do on the fly by burning off spell slots, read the class abilities closer.
No, there isn't.

There IS a limit on the 'base' spell (you can't apply the effect to a spell hiegher then 1/2 your Ultimate Magus class level) but other than having to have a spell slot of the required height there is no limit.

Does the caster have to be able to cast spells of the resulting level?
No.
Can it exceed 9 th level?
Yes
If I were casting hold person could I add 5 heightened levels even though I could not cast 8th level spells.
Yes. You do need burn a 5th lvl spell slot in your other class.
What about heightened dominate person 5 levels to 10 th level.
Yes. You do need burn a 5th lvl spell slot in your other class, and you need to be 5th lvl Ultimate Magus to be allowed to perform it on a 5th lvl spell.
No. Or rather, I don´t think so.

This ability allows dual casters (sorcerer/wizards) to use metamagic that otherwise would not be possible due to lack of high lvl spell slots. You are limited to placing the metamagic feats on low level spells, and are limited in how many boosts you can give them (only one MM effect per spell) for balance reasons.

Last edited:

Corsair

First Post
I agree with most of the post above, except that I see no reason why you couldn't apply metamagic to an already metamagicked spell.

Herzog

Adventurer
Because the ability sais so

You can't use this ability to augment a spell already affected by a metamagic feat
Unless, of course, you are talking about applying a MM feat after using this ability. In that case, you would have to determine the order in which ability and metemagic rod apply.

TanisFrey

First Post
Herzog, sure there limits. How high of a spell level you have left to burn? And how high of a spell level are you willing to burn, right now?

I just did not have the time yesterday to look up the class and fully explain it. You did a good job at that.

Corsair

First Post
Because the ability sais so

Unless, of course, you are talking about applying a MM feat after using this ability. In that case, you would have to determine the order in which ability and metemagic rod apply.

Somehow I never noticed that before.

Remove ads