• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unconfirmed: More Layoffs at WotC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Heads up, everyone.

Tensions are running high, and we don't particularly feel like entertaining rude or insulting posts. So please think twice before posting. Just as importantly, do not insult WotC executives even if you happen to be criticizing the company's management practices. There are actual people there, and you don't have the right to call them morons (or what have you) even if you think the layoffs are mismanagement. We're fine with you criticizing/discussing/analyzing the layoff decision itself, of course; just please don't be insulting people while you do so.

I'll also add that if you happen not to care for one or more of the people laid off, you may wish to keep your opinion to yourself unless it's relevant to the thread. Time and a place, folks, time and a place.

PM me if this is in any way unclear.

Last edited:

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Everytime a WotC layoff thread hits the boards I thank God I didn't follow my dream to get published in the RPG industry and became a civil servant instead. Downsizing is nearly unheard of in my profession (its politically unpopular... they use attrition instead)

My best to all those that were forced to move on... may it be to bigger and better things.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Has there been any sort of public statement or announcement from WotC about this? I'd like to know a little more about what happened, from the horse's mouth.

ggroy

First Post
Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
If I were, say, a Mike Mearls or an Ari Marmell, I'd be insulted at the insinuation that I could never be as creative and talented as anyone ever let go during any prior stewardship of D&D, or that I got my break solely due to a policy of moronic mismanagement.

My condolences to those who were let go. Onward and upward!

Steel_Wind

Legend
If I were, say, a Mike Mearls or an Ari Marmell, I'd be insulted at the insinuation that I could never be as creative and talented as anyone ever let go during any prior stewardship of D&D, or that I got my break solely due to a policy of moronic mismanagement.

I never suggested nor insinuated that in the least; nor is that a logical inference from what I said Wulf. You're just stirring the pot.

I DID suggest that a systematic policy, as a long-term firm culture at WotC towards ALL its creative staff since 2001, demonstrates that the company places little value upon the skills and contributions of their individual creative staff and considers all of them easily replaceable.

That's what I said; you were the one who said what you said -- not me.

I believe the current firm culture to be the staffing policy of a monopolist. It works only so long as they actually are a monopoly. They were in 2001. They might still be in 2010 -- though the cracks are surely showing.

If WotC continues down that same staffing road through to 2020? I don't think WotC will be in the business of publishing D&D anymore. They will have given their direct competitor (which has an alternative but well-rooted claim to the "goodwill and longstanding affections" of fans of the game) far too many writers that bring with them ever-increasing skill, talent, legitimacy and goodwill.

How you can turn that into a swipe against Mike Mearls is beyond me.

Last edited:

booboo

First Post
nobody was crying for me when i lost my job its a bad economy and lot of people like me haven't bought many rpg products. so cutting back on staff is a good business decision.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I DID suggest that a systematic policy, as a long-term firm culture at WotC towards ALL its creative staff since 2001, demonstrates that the company places little value upon the skills and contributions of their individual creative staff and considers all of them easily replaceable.

It is not a binary situation, as you seem to be suggestion. It is possible to have immense respect for the devs on staff, but feel that for a lower salary, you can get someone equally as good or better.

And, as cruel as it is to say, the pool of potential developers for D&D is much, much greater than the number of positions available. It truly is an employers market, not an employees market.

You keep saying this. WotC continues to thrive.

Perhaps you don't know what shortsighted and self-destructive mean?

Sometimes businesses can thrive despite management seeming to do everything they possibly can to screw things up. I'm not saying that is the case here, but sometimes the market can be so good that even incompetent management can be overcome.

Olaf the Stout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads