Undead-Rebuking PC Cleric

Wolfwood2

Explorer
So I am fulfilling a long-cherished ambition of mine and playing a Blood of Vol cleric that rebukes undead. Death and Necromancy domains. (I don't think either is that great, but they seemed like the best of the available four.) Currently 4th level.

What are some tricks and tips for playing an undead-controlling cleric? Assuming I have opportunities to pick up more lackies as I level up, what are the best type of undead minions to have? How are the mechanics of commanding undead actually meant to work? It says that I need to spend a standard action to mentally command undead- is that every time, or can my first command just be to obey my verbal commands?

I anticipate lots of skeletons and zombies, as the Necromancy domain gives access to the Command Undead spell and +1 caster levels to Necromancy spells like Animate dead.

Picking up a Ghoul servant at level 8 seems very possible, but is it worth spending the 4HD worth of commanded undaed on?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
As written, I believe Ogre Mage zombies keep their flight...

Anything with lots of natural attacks makes a good skeleton. Also, if it has the Fire subtype, it retains that and is immune to fire. As a skeleton/zobie, they also get Cold Subtype and become immune to cold. Thus, Red Dragons and Pyrohydras make for some great undead minions, looking at core monsters.

Umber Hulks I recall not being so bad, especially as a Zombie so they keep their good natural armor bonus. The burrow speed is helpful sometimes.

Far as commanding undead, I was never completely sure of the RAW. But I generally allow a PC to say attack and point at someone as a free action, if you actually needed to spend a standard action each round to get the minions to do anything, the ability would be near worthless.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Fell Animate feat from Libris Mortis (?) lets foes felled by your damaging magic rise again as zombies under your control. Now, what happens to those you kill with magic when you're controlling your max is an open question.

The standard rule could apply- they're simply dead. OTOH, I think it could be way cool to have them come back as zombies anyway...that you DON'T control.

One nifty undead ally to have is actually found in the Shadowdancer PrCl. At a certain point, you get a Shadow that matches your alignment.

Magesmiley

Explorer
The last time I went the rebuking route, I ended up going for the True Necromancer prestige class (Libris Mortis). IMO Libris Mortis is almost a must-have supplement. There's a slew of feats, prestige classes, magic items, monsters, and other tidbits for the undead-minded overlord.

You do need to spend an action to order your minions about for specific actions. this keeps commanding somewhat balanced. Giving orders in advance is fair game too - I had some standing commands (attack anyone who attacks me). Be careful with free willed undead. Any DM worth their salt will be tricky with their desire to slip or bend your control.

Undead with special attacks can be quite potent if you can mange to control them - shadows, ghouls, wraiths, and spectres in particular come to mind. They're much harder to replace than skeletons, so protect them.

One thing to keep in mind is that your pool of control for rebuking undead is separate from the one for animating undead (via animate dead). Save the rebuke for the unusual stuff and animate the more regular stuff. Technically, the animate dead spell description indicates the limit is per caster level (and not character level). I'll leave it as an exercise of the imagination what this implies for cleric/wizards, particularly with feats like Practiced Spellcaster.

As far as animated undead, I tended to favor skeletons over zombies - the single action only is serious limitation in combat. Skeletons are a bit tidier too.

Generally, I found it to be better to have one big undead rather than a bunch of little ones. Keep your eye out for big monsters slain by your party with lots of attacks and/or reach. Save the body and animate them. My party killed an athach that I turned into a skeleton. A hydra is probably the biggest prize if you can find one.

There's also some interesting spells scattered around. I recall one that would make skeletons blow up.

Some other specific tactics:

If you've got more mindless undead you run into than you can control, rebuke all of them, control some, move them into a room and block the door. Leave them there, go back and control the others (releasing the ones you left in the closed room). When the ones under your control get destroyed, head back to the room you closed the spares in and replenish your forces.

Keep a few little (1HD) skeletons around for cannon fodder and suicide tasks (such as opening chests, sweeping areas for traps, and investigating murky pools). 25gp (for the material component) is half the cost of a cure light wounds potion.

Be extremely mindful of enemy clerics. Read up on bolstering undead. It is a very important tactic to keep your undead intact.

Loot the enemy dead of weapons and armor to equip your minions. A suit of armor goes a long way towards improving your minions' durability.

Undead minions make great pack mules too. Even with just a few minion, you've got a massive carrying capacity. Make use of it. Leftover armor and weapons can greatly enhance your revenue from adventuring. The problem of being able to carry it all is greatly reduced.

Hope this helps some.

Or get one of those Roman mobile lounges (pagoda?) and have your undead carry you all through the night while you rest up. Double your movement overnight!

One of the oft-overlooked benefits of undead is that they don't need to rest and can work 24-7.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The same goes on the water: the Romans and others sometimes used cattle to power waterwheels to propel barges, esp. pleasure barges/floating courts (a variant of the mechanism by which cattle were used to work mills).

There's no reason the same couldn't be done with mindless undead.

Remove ads