D&D 5E Undead Sorlock Advice

WASDHammer

Explorer
I'm in a Strahd/Homebrew campaign that goes to level 20.

I am currently playing as an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer and overall having fun, however, was very tempted to MC into Warlock. Rather than take the traditional Hexblade route, I was looking at Undead as a potential subclass. I know that will not be the optimal choice (losing armor proficiency, shield, shield spell) but it felt like a good fit for story flavor.

I have never really played late game before, nor have I ever MC'ed into Warlock, so hoping to get some advice whether 1) this is a good idea at all? and 2) if so, should I go 2 levels into Warlock (traditional Sorlock) or 1 level + Eldritch Adept ASI?

For context, the DM gave everyone a free feat at level 1, although we are now at level 8. However, he is letting me rebuild my PC to incorporate this change (so either a 6/2 Sorcerer/Warlock or a 7/1 with Eldritch Adept- Agonizing Blast).

I know that the "Sorlock" topic has been discussed here and elsewhere ad nauseum, but based on my specific, is this the right idea?

The only other consideration for me is that every other party member is currently multiclassed at least 1 level. I raise this because whenever I hear about MC into Warlock, I hear about the slower spell progression argument (i.e., you really feel the slower access to spell progression). But isn't that a RELATIVE argument, meaning you feel slower vs. other "pure" class party members? But if EVERYONE is multiclassing, isn't that argument lessened, if not moot?

In any case, would value any feedback or opinions. Thanks!

kapars

Adventurer
What are you looking to gain from it? Is there a specific Warlock invocation, subclass feature etc? Eldritch Blast and Agonizing Blast would make sure you get decent damage but is that what you are looking for? The higher in single class level get the higher level spells you get and that would actually set you apart from the other players in the group. The Aberrant Mind ability to subtle cast with Sorcery points is amazing for not getting counterspelled and multiclassing will cut down on that pool.

WASDHammer

Explorer
I actually think some of it was for backstory flavor. It is a pretty heavy RP group and the Undead subclass would fit PERFECTLY with the character's story arc. From a gameplay standpoint, I think the idea of a free/small resource dmg spell sounds appealing, especially since much of my spells are charm related support. Additionally, I like the idea of thinking of my sorcery points as a battery to manufacture spells during our notoriously long sessions, so refreshing that "battery" on a SR has some appeal.

Now that said, missing out on Wish for a level or two sounds bad, but I've never even cast that spell before and is it worth giving up power for the entire campaign just to cast a single OP spell a few times at end game? I actually don't know and would love that perspective.

ECMO3

Hero

I am currently playing as an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer and overall having fun, however, was very tempted to MC into Warlock. Rather than take the traditional Hexblade route, I was looking at Undead as a potential subclass. I know that will not be the optimal choice (losing armor proficiency, shield, shield spell) but it felt like a good fit for story flavor.

I have never really played late game before, nor have I ever MC'ed into Warlock, so hoping to get some advice whether 1) this is a good idea at all? and 2) if so, should I go 2 levels into Warlock (traditional Sorlock) or 1 level + Eldritch Adept ASI?

For context, the DM gave everyone a free feat at level 1, although we are now at level 8. However, he is letting me rebuild my PC to incorporate this change (so either a 6/2 Sorcerer/Warlock or a 7/1 with Eldritch Adept- Agonizing Blast).

I know that the "Sorlock" topic has been discussed here and elsewhere ad nauseum, but based on my specific, is this the right idea?

The only other consideration for me is that every other party member is currently multiclassed at least 1 level. I raise this because whenever I hear about MC into Warlock, I hear about the slower spell progression argument (i.e., you really feel the slower access to spell progression). But isn't that a RELATIVE argument, meaning you feel slower vs. other "pure" class party members? But if EVERYONE is multiclassing, isn't that argument lessened, if not moot?

Undead warlock is better than Hexblade IMO as long as you primarily attack or use attack cantrips.

Form of dread lets you impose frightened with an attack, that and the temp hps will make up for shield and slightly better armor.

It works. The problem is you are starting either too early or too late. Up to level 9 sorcerer levels are really good. They get you extra levels of spells and lots more spells.

A Sorcerer 9/Warlock 2 with Quicken Spell misses out on one sixth level slot per day. But in reply Quicken Spell for two magic points allows the sorcerer to cast a mainline spell and Eldritch Blast (or two rounds of eldritch blast) in a turn - which is seriously boosted damage. And if the casters are all multiclassed you aren't falling behind.

My advice would be go Sorcerer 7/Warlock 1 and use Eldritch Adept for Quicken Spell (and get your Cha 20). You're the best blast mage around. After Sorcerer 9 you might want a second rank in warlock (switch the feat and get a second invocation) or possibly even a third if your party is lacking a ritualist for Pact of the Tome/Book of Arcane Secrets and to use some mini-coffee shenanigans. (Or use Shield or Absorb Elements from your sorcerer slots first).

How many encounters do you get between long rests? If its more than 4-5 or so, then a 1 level Warlock dip is OK. If it's less than 4 dont waste your time.

All you get out of it is better 'at will' damage, and if your DM is letting you Nova by only throwing 1-3 encounters per long rest at you, then you dont need better 'at will' damage at all (you have more than enough slots at your level to never run out, and you dont want to delay getting access to higher level slots as you advance).

Horwath

Legend
As someone that is currently playing Aberrant mind, I would suggest that you stay there for 9 levels.
Get all the goodies and then take 2 levels of warlock, Cha bonus to damage will then be ready at lvl11, just when you get your 3rd ray.

As someone that is currently playing Aberrant mind, I would suggest that you stay there for 9 levels.
Get all the goodies and then take 2 levels of warlock, Cha bonus to damage will then be ready at lvl11, just when you get your 3rd ray.
And delay 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th level spells by 2 levels, for (in exchange) a better at will cantrip?

Not sure it's a great bargain.

Horwath

Legend
And delay 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th level spells by 2 levels, for (in exchange) a better at will cantrip?

Not sure it's a great bargain.
multiclassing never is a great bargain as a caster. But at level 9 you get most out of your aberrant mind so... if ever, it's then.

Remove ads