• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Undead without LA

czak808

First Post
In the book Libris Mortis the Necropolitan allows a character to gain the "augmented humanoid" as an undead creature. The character must die, be raised (as per Raise Dead thus lose a level) and sacrifice 1000xp.
Henceforth, no longer subject to critical hits, sneak attacks, fort saves (unless object affected) or aging, immune to mind affects(?), etc...
Is this your "lich on the cheap" template?

darthkilmor

First Post
czak808 said:
In the book Libris Mortis the Necropolitan allows a character to gain the "augmented humanoid" as an undead creature. The character must die, be raised (as per Raise Dead thus lose a level) and sacrifice 1000xp.
Henceforth, no longer subject to critical hits, sneak attacks, fort saves (unless object affected) or aging, immune to mind affects(?), etc...

That sounds a little bit like the shigmuu PrC from Ptolus.

kreynolds

First Post
czak808 said:

They don't get this...

"Fear Aura (Su): Liches are shrouded in a dreadful aura of death and evil. Creatures of less than 5 HD in a 60-foot radius that look at the lich must succeed on a Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell from a sorcerer of the lich’s level. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same lich’s aura for 24 hours.

Paralyzing Touch (Su): Any living creature a lich hits with its touch attack must succeed on a Fortitude save or be permanently paralyzed. Remove paralysis or any spell that can remove a curse can free the victim (see the bestow curse spell description). The effect cannot be dispelled. Anyone paralyzed by a lich seems dead, though a DC 20 Spot check or a DC 15 Heal check reveals that the victim is still alive."

...nor a bunch of other scary stuff, so I'm include to say...nope. :)

czak808

First Post
I'll admit, the full lich is a terrible thing to face. The fear, the paralytic touch, the DR, the stat and skill bonuses and the ultimate recurring/ undying villain. I love em.
... but
As a player, you give up 4 levels compared to your group (if a DM would allow you to play one). That's four caster level and probably 2 spell levels.
The Necropolitan does NOT provide DR, paralytic touch, fear or near-immortality. But, you also are of a level with the rest of your party, and the benefits (as listed above) you do get are pretty good. All while staying of comparable level with the rest of your party.

In addition, why do you paste what was written RIGHT above your post into your post...?

kreynolds

First Post
czak808 said:
In addition, why do you paste what was written RIGHT above your post into your post...?

Habit, would be my guess. Ensures people know who you are addressing. I've done that before too.

czak808

First Post
A character "progressing" without BAB, skill or save adjustments doesn't seem like advancement. Sure, by the rules it works, but I'm not a big fan of RAW.
After looking through Complete Arcane, once a character is a Necropolitan, its a short hop to Spell-stitched...

No ECL adjustment, but you're undead (an all that goes with it), DR, SR, save bonus', SLA (pick paralyze & fear if ya wanna go the lich route). No ability or skill bonus', but you're FOUR caster levels make up for that IMHO.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads