D&D 5E Undermountain Concept Art Spotted

afdarcy

Villager
Todd Kenreck has a YouTube channel called Dungeon Life and one of the videos is an interview with WotC concept artists Shawn Wood and Richard Whitters.

There were lots of concept pieces shown, mainly from OotA, VGtM and SKT. But two images in particular grabbed my attention, one labelled "Halaster", another labelled "Xanathar". Could "Dust" be an Undermountain AP after all?

Xanathar art starts at 1:42:
Xanathar.JPG

Halaster art starts at 3:13:
Halaster.JPG

Last edited:

Valdier

Explorer
I have to derail your thread a bit because I have discovered a conspiracy. I think you are a secret agent *actually* promoting the Rod of 7 parts, by disguising it as an undermountain post.

How you ask? let me show you.

You have posted 4 times, 3 of which were on dates numbered with a 7. Then 3 of the 4 Replies and views to your posts end or begin with 7's. Then... I thought my theory was blown until this post. Your time settings put it on the 16th... not the 17th. But then I saw what time you posted it. 7:21 am. Clever... very clever.

6 Sets of 7 for the Rod of 7. I am still deciphering your puzzle trickster!

Proof positive, the next AP is The rod of 7 parts.Untitled2.png

Edit: Since my post I have found more evidence to support my theory. See the image for these crazy groupings of 7.

Just saying... we shouldn't read too much into things ;)

Last edited:

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I don't think it's conclusive evidence. There is art of the Xanathar in the DMG so it's very possible that the art here was originally intended to go there and then whoever was in charge didn't like it. It also could have been they were in the initial planning stages for an Undermountain AP and they scrapped it for something else.

Basically, without knowing the exact dates of the pieces in question it's very hard to piece together something concrete. I find it unlikely that art for an upcoming AP would be leaked in such a way.

afdarcy

Villager
I have to derail your thread a bit because I have discovered a conspiracy. I think you are a secret agent *actually* promoting the Rod of 7 parts, by disguising it as an undermountain post.

I'm going to blow your mind...

My very first post to these forums pointed out that the link between Acquisitions Inc and Force Grey was... the Rod of Seven Parts.

You can't find it because it was lost in the Great Data Loss of 2016. I'm not saying I had anything to do with that data loss, no sir. It was merely... coincidence that such an obvious clue to this conspiracy was removed.

Who knows what will happen to these forums now that you've exposed us?

;)

afdarcy

Villager
I don't think it's conclusive evidence. There is art of the Xanathar in the DMG so it's very possible that the art here was originally intended to go there and then whoever was in charge didn't like it. It also could have been they were in the initial planning stages for an Undermountain AP and they scrapped it for something else.

Basically, without knowing the exact dates of the pieces in question it's very hard to piece together something concrete. I find it unlikely that art for an upcoming AP would be leaked in such a way.

Sure, you're probably right. But it's fun to speculate. :)

Xanthar *could* be art cut from Volo's Guide to Monsters. Halaster could also be superfluous art. Or even from Yawning Portal (or cut from that).

But you never know. Undermountain would work and could be cool.

Of course, art takes a super long time. It could even be for the 2018 spring adventure...

Remove ads