D&D 5E Understanding Adult Red Dragon

So, as my group is coming close to finally encountering Cirothe in EN Publishings "How to slay a dragon" (or rather "Holdenshire Chronicles", I want to make sure I understand how an adult red dragon works in 5e.

Going by what D&D Beyond shows, am I right in thinking that this is a possible series of actions?

* Round 1
-- At ini count 20, ARD uses a lair action (say, magma eruption)
-- At his own ini, ARD uses multiattack to strick with Frightful Presence, 1 bite, 2 claws
-- At the end of the 1st characters turn, ARD uses Tail attack
-- At the end of the 2nd characters turn, ARD uses Wing attack (no more Legendary Actions this round)

* Round 2
-- At ini count 20, ARD uses a lair different action (say, tremor)
-- At his own ini, ARD uses multiattack to strick with Frightful Presence, 1 bite, 2 claws
-- At the end of the 2nd characters turn, ARD uses Wing attack (no more Legendary Actions this round)

* Round 3
-- At ini count 20, ARD uses a different lair action (say, magma eruption again, or volcanic gas)

Is this how a dragon would work? I mean, I know we're talking CR17 here, but, all things considered, that's pretty heavy stuff.

Or did I do / get something wrong?

Dausuul

Legend
You are correct that this is a valid sequence. Although usually there's a breath weapon in there someplace, too.

You'd be surprised how much punishment a high-level party can take... and dish out. But if you don't think your PCs are up to it, you can always scale back a bit.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
Besides, you can choose the most appropriate Legendary Action of the dragon. You could choose Tail Attack three times; or begin with the wings (2 actions) and then the tail, or a perception check...

If possible, the dragon breathes the first round, so he can begin to recharge.

Tactically, a dragon will try to fly as soon as possible.

Coroc

Hero
So, as my group is coming close to finally encountering Cirothe in EN Publishings "How to slay a dragon" (or rather "Holdenshire Chronicles", I want to make sure I understand how an adult red dragon works in 5e.

Going by what D&D Beyond shows, am I right in thinking that this is a possible series of actions?

* Round 1
-- At ini count 20, ARD uses a lair action (say, magma eruption)

* Round 2
-- At ini count 20, ARD uses a lair different action (say, tremor)

* Round 3
-- At ini count 20, ARD uses a different lair action (say, magma eruption again, or volcanic gas)

Is this how a dragon would work? I mean, I know we're talking CR17 here, but, all things considered, that's pretty heavy stuff.

Or did I do / get something wrong?

Absolutely not. The frightful presence is quite automatic. The first real attack of a dragon will absolutely be a breath attack. Lair action what the heck.
This guy does not need his lair acting for him, he is enough action for a party even as a solo mob if played right.
After breathing he will single out the most vulnerable character and shred and bite him to pieces.
Maybe the party is lucky and his breath does not recharge, otherwise next thing is breath again.

Adult dragon means not only big beast but also superhuman cunning intellect and wisdom acquired through centuries. Only very stubborn dragons would make tactical errors in combat that is.

And do not forget the dragon will fly if possible even if it is just to reposition itself.

akr71

Hero
Tactically, a dragon will try to fly as soon as possible.
YES! A flying dragon is so much scarier and more difficult encounter. It is faster and more maneuverable in the air. Strafe the party with the breath weapon and fly out of range - circling until breath weapon recharge and strafe again.

Even having the dragon perched somewhere up high helps too. Keep in mind that every dragon lair does not need to be a closed in. It can be open to the air, or if it is a cave perhaps it has on overhead escape route.

MarkB

Legend
Absolutely not. The frightful presence is quite automatic.
Not so. Frightful Presence is listed under Actions, not general abilities, so it requires an action. It can be activated as part of a Multiattack sequence, but can't be used in conjunction with other actions, such as the breath weapon.

Even having the dragon perched somewhere up high helps too. Keep in mind that every dragon lair does not need to be a closed in. It can be open to the air, or if it is a cave perhaps it has on overhead escape route.
A smart dragon will also build its lair to allow it to move easily while inhibiting its opponents. Points of egress may be across streams or waterfalls of lava, or vents of scorching steam, taking full advantage of the red dragon's fire immunity.

Oofta

Legend
Others have made some good points, I'll just add a note.

There's no reason for a dragon to fight fair. If this is their home territory, they're going to be flying around, ducking behind total cover, flying by and using reach attacks to target the weakest members of the party. Heck, just fly off and pick up something heavy followed by flying high over the party and bombing them. Use lair effects to split them up.

An adult dragon should never get into melee unless they absolutely have to and should do everything in their power to divide and conquer. Groups vs solos are heavily weighted towards the party so set up the environment to favor the dragon.

Thanks for all the input.
Just to clarify: I am NOT in the least worried about the dragon. If you guys don't know the campaign, this is 4 characters of level 7 armed with 4 (well, rather 3) artifacts facing the adult red. So, what I'm trying to work out is, if they even stand a snowballs chance in hell, or rather not. :)

See here for more background.

Oofta

Legend
I'm not familiar with the mod (or the artifacts) all I can say is that a CR 17 monster should defeat a 4 person level 7 party even if the party has a chance to prep.

Personally I'd probably change the encounter to a young red dragon, but again I don't know how what the artifacts powers are.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases