D&D 5E Understanding Adult Red Dragon

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Good point - sorry about that!

No problem. I know you as a member well enough to know there was no offense intended or implied.

Not exactly the same thing. There are several monsters with variants in the MM, but they are built-in rules. And I would argue that, IMO, by default the rules are there to use if you want.

Note you said they "don't have them." This, to me, would give the impression that you would need some sort of houserule to give them spells. But you don't, the rules are right there for you to use. IMO, it is more akin to giving an Orc a sword instead of a greataxe. You are just picking the spells (like picking a different weapon). Except even more "default" as it mentions in the monster entry that you can do this (instead of the introduction).

That's fair enough. I don't think that variant rule specifies that it is an action to use a spell but I would guess so.

dave2008

Legend
That's fair enough. I don't think that variant rule specifies that it is an action to use a spell but I would guess so.
It is called the "Innate Spellcasting" variant so the assumption is it follows the same rules. Interestingly enough, I just checked the MM and under teh "Innate Spellcasting" section of the introduction it doesn't say anything about actions. However, over creatures with innate spellcasting (or spellcasting), have this ability listed under the "traits" section not the "Actions" section of the stat block. I guess the required action is noted in a spell's description so that is the default.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It is called the "Innate Spellcasting" variant so the assumption is it follows the same rules. Interestingly enough, I just checked the MM and under teh "Innate Spellcasting" section of the introduction it doesn't say anything about actions. However, over creatures with innate spellcasting (or spellcasting), have this ability listed under the "traits" section not the "Actions" section of the stat block. I guess the required action is noted in a spell's description so that is the default.

Yeah, IIRC under mosnters like the Lich, there is no action for spellcasting. The action requirement would be part of the spell I would also think.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
If I recall, Cirothe's lair has a lake of lava. Since she's immune to fire damage, she could plausibly pop in and out of the lake, black-dragon-style. This would let her pop up, breathe fire, pop back down, behind total cover of lava, all in a single round. The only way for PCs to affect her would be readied actions, which limits them considerably (no multiattack, insane rules for readying spells, etc.).

Coroc

Hero
Not so. Frightful Presence is listed under Actions, not general abilities, so it requires an action. It can be activated as part of a Multiattack sequence, but can't be used in conjunction with other actions, such as the breath weapon.

Of course it is, but given the dragon especially a dragon of this caliber is noting the party approaching he will use it before any combat has started, at least that is how I do handle it on my table. Do not complain that it is out of initiative or so, because the other way would be a surprise attack by the dragon.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This might be obvious, but since the goal of the thread is to check for understanding about dragons and nobody else has said it yet, I’m going to:

The dragon does have to be in its lair to use Lair Actions. I’m assuming you are planning to have this fight occur in the red dragon’s lair, but I figured I should mention it for the sake of thoroughness.

Coroc

Hero
I would suggest something more like:

* Round 2
-- At ini count 20, ARD uses a lair different action (say, tremor)
-- At his own ini, ARD uses multiattack to strike with Frightful Presence, 1 bite, 2 claws (rolls for recharge) & moves before or after (or both) depending on what the plan is.
ARD uses multiattack to strick with Frightful Presence, 1 bite, 2 claws (rolls for recharge) & moves before or after (or both) depending on what the plan is.
-- At the end of the 1st characters turn, ARD uses Tail attack
-- At the end of the 2nd characters turn, ARD uses Wing attack and moves (no more Legendary Actions this round)

I like it, but one question, I do not have a rulebook at hand, but does frightful presence not rather work like apply once if it works (failed DC x Wis save), party member is frightened for 1 minute if it does not (save successful) party member is immune to the effect for 24 hours?
So frightful presence would only make sense once or doesn't it?

MarkB

Legend
I like it, but one question, I do not have a rulebook at hand, but does frightful presence not rather work like apply once if it works (failed DC x Wis save), party member is frightened for 1 minute if it does not (save successful) party member is immune to the effect for 24 hours?
So frightful presence would only make sense once or doesn't it?
Frightful Presence happens automatically as part of the Multiattack sequence. But yes, you're correct - once a creature's been exposed to it, there's no point in trying to affect them again.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases