Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Druid Circles And Wild Shape

Dreams is right up my alley, and may lead to me creating my first druid character in 5e. Starting to feel like we are getting a lot of Fey and Shadowfell themed options in these. Perhaps that's a clue to where the 2017 Fall supplement is going to focus? Elminster's Journey's across the Planes, a guide.

Dreams is right up my alley, and may lead to me creating my first druid character in 5e. Starting to feel like we are getting a lot of Fey and Shadowfell themed options in these. Perhaps that's a clue to where the 2017 Fall supplement is going to focus? Elminster's Journey's across the Planes, a guide.

BoldItalic

First Post
I think a problem with the Circle of Dreams is that it is too combat oriented. The class features need to be broadened so that they can be used outside of combat. Otherwise, apart from protecting camp sites in the wilderness, a Dream Druid looks like a dead weight on the party.

The main problem of the druid unearthed arcana is with the theme of the subclasses.
The fey wild druid, being the only one whose abilities fit with the subclass description. However, I would prefer that this druid would focus either on the “wild growth that overtakes civilization” or “crazy enchantments and illusions” fey wild themes, than the healer and protector of nature theme. While reading the circle of twilight druid I expected some sort of undead hunter, but instead the abilities fit a subclass that sort of embraces negative energy. If they are going for a faywild and shadowfell theme, they could have a “blight” themed druid to represent the shadowfell side. As, for the shepherd druid (I really dislike that name), I was expecting subclass focusing on animal companion and got a mix of a beast summoner and a spirit shaman.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
It's a proof of concept playtest; if people like the variant option, the final version will be modified/expanded as needed, I'm sure.
The problem with this is that "people" are essentially 90% players and 10% DM's. Players love options and power creep. DM's are the ones who have to deal with the fallout and imbalances.

I love it, but is it too good?

I'm honestly finding a lot of these to be too good. The power creep being introduced is already giving me conniption fits.

I don't like the 1d4 round recharge at all. I was glad to get away from such mechanics in the last couple of editions.

If they must have a random recharge, I'd prefer they go with the "roll X or higher on 1d6" mechanic that monsters use. It amounts to the same thing, but it 1) doesn't require keeping track of rounds passed, and 2) doesn't add a new mechanic to the game when an existing one will do just fine.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The problem with this is that "people" are essentially 90% players and 10% DM's. Players love options and power creep. DM's are the ones who have to deal with the fallout and imbalances.

I'm honestly finding a lot of these to be too good. The power creep being introduced is already giving me conniption fits.

The variant rule in question is precisely a FM discretion briddle on power creep: "no, you are from Shadowdale, you have never seen a velicaraptor..."

That being said, powercreep is not 5Es problem, and recall this is pre-playtest material: the final results should be mathematically aligned.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think a problem with the Circle of Dreams is that it is too combat oriented. The class features need to be broadened so that they can be used outside of combat. Otherwise, apart from protecting camp sites in the wilderness, a Dream Druid looks like a dead weight on the party.

I don't see that to be honest.

The healing can be used out of combat, and the bonus to speed could be a good chase sequence buff.

The teleport refreshes every 24 seconds at max duration, so it can be used for traversal purposes, and it offers some interesting issues if the party is caught while separated. Could also be interesting if people keep tromping thru some fey's favorite path.

Dispel magic when healing could be useful to save slots when recovering from a trap they set off. It is certainly the least non-combat ability, but there is something there

And then of course, you have everything that comes with Druid.

gyor

Legend
Top marks on the Summoner one, the other two need major work, and the optional rule doesn't interest me in the slightest.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
"1d4 rounds" - I don't care for this sort of thing, personally. I'd rather it be once a turn or once or so many times a short rest but not this.

Super stoked about the Shepherd Circle. Druids finally get a conjuring specific subclass. The 14th-level feature needs to be reworded to actually work while you're unconscious. Though I suppose that's their intent with "it last 1 hour." Does that mean it doesn't require concentration?

Circle of the Moon is still stronger than these circle options, though, it seems.

I like the known forms idea though I may not agree with it's implementation completely. I'd probably go a little different on what the starting beasts are but as is it's not a bad idea.

BoldItalic

First Post
The healing can be used out of combat, and the bonus to speed could be a good chase sequence buff.

The teleport refreshes every 24 seconds at max duration, so it can be used for traversal purposes, and it offers some interesting issues if the party is caught while separated. Could also be interesting if people keep tromping thru some fey's favorite path.
That's okay if you allow bonus actions to be taken outside of combat?

MarkB

Legend
The Twilight subclass definitely seems to have some dissonance between its description and its implementation, especially the initial class ability. A druid who is supposed to be all about restoring the natural life-cycle is going around syphoning life-force from living creatures? And he's doing so through necrotic energy, yet gaining benefits from killing undead with it? It not only goes against the class's stated theme but also doesn't feel like it makes much internal sense.

I can't help feeling like this class started out as something much darker, but then got cleaned up somewhat ineptly for publication.

Remove ads

Remove ads