Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana is Here - and it's all about EBERRON!

Pretty awesome that this series has started :D http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-eberron Will Greyhawk or Dragonlance be next?? Probably Dragonlance. Does Greyhawk have any particular crunchy player bits that aren't covered by the PHB already?

Sir Brennen

Legend
On Dragonmarks: I don't see why you cant say your character has a least Mark as part of your backstory and at 4th level it's power manifests to a lesser (you taking the feat). Liking the Dragonmark rules.
Couple of free spells at 1st level? Then why wouldn't everyone take a dragonmark, even if they don't ever take the feat?

Why not just say you're born with a small but significant birthmark that identifies you as part of a house, but has no other effects, that then manifests later (with the feat). That way players that don't want their characters to be part of the dragonmarked houses doesn't feel like they're missing out on something if they don't say their character has the least mark at creation.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
It sounds like you may get that chance. As the UA article says, things presented there are just draft rules, and might appear in a published product later.

which is nice that they are letting us playtest these UA rules first before publishing them, work out the kinks (thats how I read it) ;)

This has inspired me to break out my 4e Eberron Campaign book and apply these 5e changes. Hopefully we get Darksun soon. I can finally put these beautiful books to good use

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Warforged said:
Instead of sleeping, you enter an inactive state for 4 hours each day. You do not dream in this state; you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.
When I first read this, I thought "Enemies approaching is a normal thing???" Then I immediately thought "Yeah, in D&D it is." B-)

Wow... that is one heck of a bland document.
I understand the lack of art, but they could have at least given it a background or some pagination.

It makes perfect sense to me. If you have never seen an orc before, how could you change your form to mimic one? As a DM, I would rule that the common races of Eberron are an automatic go for shapechanger, but something more exotic like a catfolk might not be. Or if the player wants to shapechange into a race they have heard about but not ever seen, I might require a deception check to see if they pulled it off convincingly.

I think their issue was they were interpreting it as you can only copy a specific person, rather than a generic human/elf/whatever. The wording is a little vague.

Shifter feels pretty terrible IMO. Ordinarily just +1 Dex, then for 1 minute per hour you get a 2nd +1? I feel for those suckered into the Wildhunt thinking they can track better. You best hope that wildhunt is a pretty short one!

Warforged seem basic and solid. Artificer has potential. Scribe Scroll is basically getting your Arcane reserve up front in exchange for locking in the spell selection.

Paraxis

Explorer
We can all celebrate that the humans and halflings won't be all alone in the no-darkvision club any more.

Well dragonborn don't have darkvision either. But yeah it always seemed odd to me that Changelings can't pass for most non human races in the dark since they didn't have darkvision, now they seem to have polymorph I assume they gain it when they take on forms that have darkvision.

And this has bothered me since 3e, why don't all Warforged have darkvision. Let me get this straight people are going to spend the time, money, and magical resources to make a living construct warrior for a world war to be marketed to all sides, give those warriors the ability to go without food or much sleep but not give them the ability to see in the dark? Makes no sense what so ever.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I like it, elegant, unencumbered, doesnt take up much space in my ipad, easy to read and search. I dont need art at the expense of much valued player content ;)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
That's one way to respond to demands for more stuff.

Past kender promises means Dragonlance is probably next.

The play test has resumed.

Remove ads

Remove ads