Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Psionics and Mystics Take Two

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

Find the article right here.

mellored

Legend
At the beginning of the article where they lay out the design thesis it says:

"Psionic disciplines are now available to all mystics, regardless of mystic order. However, your order grants you a benefit for using its associated disciplines."

Is there a benefit that only activates when using a in order discipline (I cant see anything like this), or is it just a synergistic benefit where the order's features mesh well with it's associated disciplines?

Mystic Recovery.

You heal Int hit points for using one of your order, if your below 1/2 HP.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
The list of Disciplines could be longer. That said, I like the way they're done. If Wizards did a psionics book with several psionic classes (including one that's more like a full caster with a d6 hit die and no wannabe-fighter options), several sub-classes for each, more disciplines, and a bunch of other assorted psionic goodness, I'd scoop it up in a heartbeat.

Only just skimmed it, but overall I like what I'm reading. Need to know how it really stacks up against arcane classes, though, which given my current level of 5e mastery, I'll have to leave to others.

I like this more than the first draft, but I still don't like it, and am kinda dreading the day it shows up in official print.

I disagree with the whole "dispel magic doesn't dispel psionics." I mean, logically, it does make sense. I get that. But it also means that the Mystic has advantage to "magic" that cannot be countered, unlike every other spellcaster.

Not so happy about the Psi Point progression. 4 to 6 to 14 to 17 to 27? What the heck are they doing?
I haven't read the article yet, but it looks like they're imitating the spell slot progression. Going from 4 points to 6 is the equivalent of going from two first-level spell slots to three, if each costs 2 points. Then you get a lot more points at level 3, to pay for your two second-level slots and one more first-level slot.

It's just a guess, but it's what they've done in the past.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I like the way they breakdown the powers into disciplines of related abilities. Not so happy about the Psi Point progression. 4 to 6 to 14 to 17 to 27? What the heck are they doing?
Actually, it mimics normal spellcaster progression. I'm pretty sure it's a straight conversion full-caster slots into a spell point system. Going to double check now to see if I can determine the formula.

Edit: Confirmed, it's an exact match for full caster progression, with the following conversion of spell slot to psi points (does this match the DMG spell points?):

1st - 2
2nd - 3
3rd - 5
4th - 6
5th - 7

Last edited by a moderator:

Remathilis

Legend
Actually, it mimics normal spellcaster progression. I'm pretty sure it's a straight conversion full-caster slots into a spell point system. Going to double check now to see if I can determine the formula.

Edit: Confirmed, it's an exact match for full caster progression, with the following conversion of spell slot to psi points (does this match the DMG spell points?):

1st - 2
2nd - 3
3rd - 5
4th - 6
5th - 7
Unless it changed from the last UA, it's literally the same chart as the spell points chart in the DMG.

Remove ads

Remove ads