Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Psionics and Mystics Take Two

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

Find the article right here.

mellored

Legend
Multiclass mystic 15/champion fighter 5 , 94 psi points, 19 attack of 5d10 day, 19% crit (with advantage), so probably you will only use lethal strike when you get a crit, the rest of psi points can be used for a lot of utility. Isn't just a nova. and multiclass for 5+ levels worth in many cases.
5d10 = 27.5

2 extra attacks from a fighter 20 = 4d6+10 = 24

So the mystic is a few points ahead, as long as hit psi points last.
Not counting fighters' extra feats.

Still seems fairly balanced to me.

Trance

Explorer
I'm waiting for more disciplines .. Currently the Order of the Awakened seems a bit lack luster compared to Order of the Immortal. :/

the damage output of the psioinc weapon compared to the weak control the of other disciplines like Conquering Mind almost forces the Awakened to multi-class to keep up..

CapnZapp

Legend
Okay, you're glad it doesn't work with the casting multiclass concept. Can you please provide me with an alternative that we don't fall back into the 3.x issue where two caster-type classes don't work well together because they mechanics don't add together? You may or may not have had experience with that, but it was a real problem. 5e has a mechanism with the unified caster chart that doesn't deal with it perfectly, but does deal with it a lot better than we had back then. So are you throwing out the baby with the bathwater with your comments, or do you actually have a way to make this work correctly?
The important thing is that psionics doesn't work like wizards in disguise.

That multiclassing becomes incompatible is an easy price to pay.

Let's solve that later with a Mystic Theurge kludge, and celebrate the differentiation here and now.

Trance

Explorer
The important thing is that psionics doesn't work like wizards in disguise.

That multiclassing becomes incompatible is an easy price to pay.

Let's solve that later with a Mystic Theurge kludge, and celebrate the differentiation here and now.

I agree! it finally happened. :)

Bullvinne

First Post
I got some responses from Mike Mearls on twitter about a few things regarding the Mystic. I am to new to post the links but here is the responses

Regarding Consumptive Power:
My Question: "is Consumptive Power truly meant to be so harsh? The higher level you are, it hurts more while the benefit never goes up"
His Response: "it's basically free power points - balance wise, assumed it was not used vs. other classes' abilities"
My Counter-Question: "ah, but am I reading right that if you used it at a lvl 20 mystic, you will reduce your HP total and max by 100 HP for 5 PP?"
His Response: "we'll do a pass to make sure stuff works past 10. The cost will need to be tweaked."

Regarding Strength of Mind:
My Question: "How is Strength of Mind supposed to work for a class without Wis Prof coming into the Mystic class by multiclassing?"
His Response: "we'll cover that in multi classing, but it'll likely be swap prof in Dex, Wis, or Con for something else."

zaratan

First Post
That makes me feel better about mystics.

Pallies get +2 on every attack from dualist. Then +1d8+str on every attack at 5. d10 hit dice, lay on hands, channel divinity, aura's, ect...

Currently, i wouldn't play a mystic over pally (from an optimization standpoint). A little bit stronger nova isn't worth it.

And 5 levels of multi-classing isn't worth it either. Unless your doing a theoretical build just to see how big of a nova you can get.

I guess when you come out of the womb at 20th level that might be good. But actually leveling this character over months/years? That guy also gets a whopping 2 stat adjustments...

I dont think we should nerf lethal strike because of a 5 class multiclass (optional rule) that uses another unearthed arcana subclass... Balance around the optimum combos, and you're going to have a class that's underpowered for people who just level in that. Lethal strike is mostly fine as is.

True.

But i still think making the psi limit per turn could be appropriate as well.

It's an option.

jgsugden

Legend
As written, assuming some things about multiclassing, a one level dip in Order of the Immortal is pretty awesome: All weapons, armor and shield; (celerity + third eye) = [speed +5, advantage on initative, avoid surprise (uses pp)before combat begins] which you swap to blindsense 30 for a bonus action during combat, +30 more speed with 2 pps to GTFO if something goes bad; Telepathy (Mind Meld) with options for tremorsense, advantage on wisdom checks, init bonuses...

A Swordmage, Rogue, Fighter, Paladin, etc... all might find that very tempting.

Aberrations=Far Realms

Slaadi are aberrations that are explicitly not connected to originating from the Far Realms.

5e has already established that psionic creatures are all Far Realms and nothing that isn't from the Far Realms has any access to psionics.

They have failed to provide precedent of psionic creatures without a prior edition Far Realms connection, but other than this playtesting material we are offering our thoughts on, it has not been stated that psionics is all related to the Far Realms, and it has been contradicted that all aberrations are related to the Far Realms. The lack of current edition precedent of a psionic non-aberration, or a creature explicitly un-connected to the Far Realms having psionics doesn't preclude either of those being published in the future with absolutely no inconsistency in 5e publication.

I'm surprised that people aren't focusing more on the lack of an extra attack for the Immortal. That's basically a deal-breaker for me, and for a lot of people I play/have played with.

I like that they are giving them the extra d8s to damage instead of an extra attack. That keeps their at-will damage appropriate, and with their abilities that allow them crazy burst damage, I think two attacks might be unmanageable from a design standpoint.

Remove ads

Remove ads