• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Update: Malhavoc PDFs no longer available at RPGnow (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numion

First Post
NeghVar said:
And now you have violated the DMCA by bypassing the DRM...

I wouldn't advertise this...

He probably didn't. Canada has different, more lenient, laws for copyright.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
NeghVar said:

Nope. He lives in Canada, according to his profile. DMCA doesn't apply there, just in the US. In fact, Canada has a considerably different view of what constitutes piracy (last I checked, both uploads and downloads on P2P networks, such as Kazaa, had been ruled legal by Canadian judges).

--The Sigil

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Deamoclese said:
Out of sheer curiosity... I bought a PDFs of their site... note, I have no experience with "cracking" or hacking files... I did a google search on it... 15 minutes later I removed all the security on the file and it is now like a good 'ol fashion pdf.

Was rather laughable.
In the intrest of fairness, you might want to email Malhavoc and tell them exactly how you found it. If its a security risk to their welbeing they deserve to know.

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
BelenUmeria said:
Mike,
I have no idea what your sales will be like after a few months with DRM, but I can say that I would have been happier had we be told about this in advance or if Malhavoc had decided to run dual systems for a while in order to test out the DRM method.

They cannot run dual for a while. Their contract with DriveThru RPG (owned by Publishing Services, Inc, which is owned by the guys who own White Wolf) is an exclusive contract, meaning that NOBODY else can sell their PDFs, with or without DRM.

It is also interesting to note that this whole DriveThruRPG thing came about AFTER RPGNow declined to sell their business to White Wolf (as noted by James over in the publisher forum).

Arnwyn

First Post
NeghVar said:

D00d... you'd better learn some geography - it would help you to get your countries straight.

isidorus

Explorer
Supporter
Originally Posted by BelenUmeria
The net effect is that every customer is treated as a potential criminal.

Originally Posted by Bendris Noulg
"All purchasers shall be presumed potentially-guilty until proven innocent."

Thanks you guys said it better then I did, since I said Ihate being treated as a thief. Your statements were more Elegantly said then mine.

Last edited:

Deamoclese

First Post
As noted accurately by others, I am unaffected by the DMCA... I should note that I did this to see how hard/easy it was, not to file share it... and yes, file sharing laws in Canada are close to nonexistant. (In short, the law only states that you can only share files with individuals on the internet that you "know" ... obviously a huge loophole and there's no current attempts to close this loophole).

The only hard part in cracking the file was the time spent google searching it... once I found it, I was amazed how little I actually had to do.

As another note, I have no intention of buying any more pdfs from this atrocious site... the fact that they are basically making me pay to "rent" the pdf under their strict rules is too much of a slap in the face (I don't technically own the product cus I have to read it off them).

I own (bought) all of Malhavoc's products except Chaositech... I have no plans to purchase any more of their books in print or pdf until they put this nonsense behind - I find it to be a horribly rude business practice.. I'll have to manage without Malhavoc and the other publishers/comapnies on drivethrurpg.

I hope this whole system of theirs dies quickly.

BlackMoria

First Post
.... In fact, Canada has a considerably different view of what constitutes piracy (last I checked, both uploads and downloads on P2P networks, such as Kazaa, had been ruled legal by Canadian judges).

It was not ruled that ALL P2P is legal. What was ruled was that MUSIC P2P sharing is legal because Canadians already pay a 'piracy' tax on blank cds, tapes, and harddrives, and the proceeds of that tax goes to media companies to compensate them for any illegal use that these products may be put to in regards to their IP. However, RPG producers don't see a piece of this action and so I believe that it would be illegal to share their IP on P2P and therefore it would be considered piracy, even in Canada.

Also, the ruling regarding music P2P has more depth to it than that. Basically it is okay for you to have the files available on your machine and make them publically available, but it was still illegal for someone who doesn't have a right to own that material to download it from you.

My understanding of the Canadian ruling of P2P file sharing....

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads