• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

UPDATE: New Drizzt vid & Sword Fighting blog

Negflar2099

Explorer
Very cool. You guys did an amazing job, especially considering the budget you were probably working with. :D

It seems like you incorporated a lot of different books and stories into your short but I'm curious, if you were really going to make a Drizzt movie would you really incorporate as many novels into your movie as you did in your short or would you instead focus on one novel and tell that story? If you did focus on one novel which one would it be?

Most people would choose Crystal Shard but the problem with that novel is Drizzt is clearly not the main character in that story. Wulfgar is. It would be impossible to be true to the novel while still changing it enough to make it be Drizzt's story. You can't do both.

The next logical possibility is to start with one of the Menzoberranzan (however you spell it) novels but I'm not sure that's the one most people want to see.

What do you guys think?

Galloglaich

First Post
Good effort overall, I agree with whoever said it already looks better than the DnD movie and probably the Dragonlance too though I've never seen that.

The guy playing the Drow wasn't bad, the dwarf and the girl were ok, though the Dwarfs axe was ridiculous. Drrzts outfit was reasonably good.

On the downside, the barbarian was totally ridiculous, his hammer looks absurd (esp. when it magically re-appeared in his hand) I know thats how they look in DnD but seriously, it's impossible to look at that and not laugh, and his costume is strait out of Thundarr the Barbarian. Might want to rethink the look, he makes Beastmaster or Xena look plausible by comparison. The other guy (cleric?) looks like Kevin Smith doing a cameo. He came across like a joke. So did the romantic scene there between Drrzt and the girl, I thought that was a parody for a moment.

On the other hand the fencing was surprisingly good, a lot better than I would have expected. A pretty convincing two-weapon style that looks very Drow, but also plausible even to a trained eye. And the villain wasn't too bad.

I expect at the very least the guy doing Drzzt and / or your fight coordinator can get a few nibbles in Hollywood.

G.

Xyxox

Hero
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The single best bet for good D&D advertisement via Cinema would be to do a live action Drizz't movie. Bar none, he's the favorite character and has made inroads outside the D&D community.

Your effort shines. WotC should take notice and put forth an effort for a REAL D&D movie.

Ktulu

First Post
On the downside, the barbarian was totally ridiculous, his hammer looks absurd (esp. when it magically re-appeared in his hand) I know thats how they look in DnD but seriously, it's impossible to look at that and not laugh, and his costume is strait out of Thundarr the Barbarian. Might want to rethink the look, he makes Beastmaster or Xena look plausible by comparison.

Heh, that's pretty much what Wulfgar (The barbarian) looks like in the books/comics/miniatures. The hammer is pretty much down to a "T".

The other guy (cleric?) looks like Kevin Smith doing a cameo. He came across like a joke.

The halfling is a joke. He's comic relief through most of the books. It was, again, pretty spot-on.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I thought the guy playing was Wulfgar was a bit...skinny. If you are a barbarian and regularly swing around an extremely heavy warhammer you are going to be rather large as a result of your profession.

Otherwise I thought it was a great effort. The special effects (including the hammer teleportation) looked pretty darn good and the acting was fine.

Ghostwind

First Post
I thought the guy playing was Wulfgar was a bit...skinny. If you are a barbarian and regularly swing around an extremely heavy warhammer you are going to be rather large as a result of your profession.

Otherwise I thought it was a great effort. The special effects (including the hammer teleportation) looked pretty darn good and the acting was fine.

I agree with what you're saying but I doubt Triple H was available at the budget they were working with. ;)

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!

I think puny Wulfgar was pretty good. The character is supposed to be young, and he's easier for the target demo (teenage boys) to identify with.

That said, yeah the bit about forbidden love looked like it was intentionally awkward and corny. The fighting was better than I expected but not great--though the face-to-face-flashing-blades thing looked way better than it had any right to.

And Drizzt was terrific, in appearance and attitude. Only minus was that his face makeup was rubbing off on his hair in the fight scene. :p

Bottom line: very good job all 'round. Nice work, and thanks for creating it!

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Great fan work, guys. Really awesome stuff for a labor of love without a budget. And, yes, already better than the other "official" D&D movies. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads