• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Update Surge: Previews, DDI update, Eberron article (threads merged)

Dire Bare

Legend
An ambitious schedule, however I don't believe it. The further question is this considered a promise or is this just their hoped for goal.
Not sure if you are serious or not, but my reaction is GAHHH!!!!! Here we go with the word "promise" again!

If something slated for a Wednesday doesn't show up until Friday, is a promise broken?!?! If an article gets pushed back a month (like the Barbarian), is a promise broken?!?! No, because no promise was ever made, nor should one have been.

The schedule released on D&D Insider is just that, a schedule. It's a plan. It is not a promise, not should it be. Did you see the word "promise" anywhere in there?

I'm sure that WotC has every intention to adhering to this schedule, that's why they created it, that's why they published it for us. But I am so sick of cranky gamers whining, "B-b-b-b-but you PROMISED I'd have that article this week! You're nothing but a bunch of filthy liars and I'm going HOME!"

Besides, they've been pretty damn good about adhering to this schedule so far, so what's with all the doom and gloom? Sigh. I keep forgetting I'm on the internets.

Dire Bare

Legend
Now if only they'll add in leveling tools and template additions. You know, so I can just say that I want a feytouched goblin sharpshooter set at level 5 and be able to just print it out.
In the latest Digital Insider article (which is separate but related to the calender itself) they mention the next bonus tool to go up shortly is a monster builder. So there you go.

malraux

First Post
In the latest Digital Insider article (which is separate but related to the calender itself) they mention the next bonus tool to go up shortly is a monster builder. So there you go.

I can only hope it does all that. I wouldn't be surprised if it is instead a plug and chug of the soldier, artillery, etc formula in the DMG. While that is useful, its not nearly as helpful. But if they ever get the monster creator as I described, that'll get me to sign up.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Not sure if you are serious or not, but my reaction is GAHHH!!!!! Here we go with the word "promise" again!

I brought this up both in jest and in all seriousness.

If something slated for a Wednesday doesn't show up until Friday, is a promise broken?!?! If an article gets pushed back a month (like the Barbarian), is a promise broken?!?! No, because no promise was ever made, nor should one have been.

The schedule released on D&D Insider is just that, a schedule. It's a plan. It is not a promise, not should it be. Did you see the word "promise" anywhere in there?

I'm sure that WotC has every intention to adhering to this schedule, that's why they created it, that's why they published it for us. But I am so sick of cranky gamers whining, "B-b-b-b-but you PROMISED I'd have that article this week! You're nothing but a bunch of filthy liars and I'm going HOME!"

I have no problems if they say explicitly that they have no intention of being held to a schedule that they themselves set. But then why post a schedule. This new announcement seemed more official this time around so it wouldn't be surprising if they at least think they mean it. It does get more serious though when they start charging for something.

If you have no problem with constantly pushed back deadlines and forgiveness in your heart for whatever WotC does then good for you. Some of us though expect more professionalism from a company. They need to stop making statements (even if they aren't official promises) if they can't back them up.

Besides, they've been pretty damn good about adhering to this schedule so far, so what's with all the doom and gloom? Sigh. I keep forgetting I'm on the internets.

What? I suggest you look back over these boards for huge numbers of incorrect statements they have made and even outright lies about meeting their schedules. DDI is one failed deadline after another. This is not doom and gloom, this is just noticing a pattern and expecting the pattern to continue.

I brought this up both in jest and in all seriousness.
So when a sports team tells its fans that it will contend this season, and then ends with a losing record, are they liars and promise-breakers?

When a product company tells its customers that version 2 of the Widget Deluxe will be ready by Christmas, but then unexpected manufacturing problems cause it not to be ready, is the company breaking a promise?

When a student takes a class knowing that the term paper is due on a certain date, but then the student gets behind on his work on has to request an extension, did the student break an implicit promise to turn in his work on time?

Perhaps you should get off your high horse. People set deadlines, and try to stick to them, but stuff happens.

(And incidentally, I don't see WotC getting any credit for churning out hardback books year after year with very few missed deadlines. Or does that not count?)

Brown Jenkin

First Post
So when a sports team tells its fans that it will contend this season, and then ends with a losing record, are they liars and promise-breakers?

Quite possibly. It depends on wether they knew beforehand that these were empty words or not. There are more than enough sports fan who will quite vocally say yes they were liars and the players who didn't perform should be traded.

When a product company tells its customers that version 2 of the Widget Deluxe will be ready by Christmas, but then unexpected manufacturing problems cause it not to be ready, is the company breaking a promise?

Yes. But then the problems at Wotc are not unexpected manufacturing problems. They have problems understanding what the promises they made actually entail. Its not like there wern't plenty of people they could ask or listen too who knew all to well that they were biting off more than they could handle. That isn't unexpected problems, that is incompetance.

When a student takes a class knowing that the term paper is due on a certain date, but then the student gets behind on his work on has to request an extension, did the student break an implicit promise to turn in his work on time?

Yes! And the professor is certainly entitled to call him on it, deny the extension and give him a poor or failing grade for the class.

Perhaps you should get off your high horse. People set deadlines, and try to stick to them, but stuff happens.

And at work when I fail to meet my deadlines my boss notices and calls me on it. If I do it repeatedly I face disciplinary action, a poor review, and possible termination. Its not like this is a one time thing, Wotc has repeatedly failed with their DDI deadlines.

(And incidentally, I don't see WotC getting any credit for churning out hardback books year after year with very few missed deadlines. Or does that not count?)

Yea, they do what they should be doing in the first place. Good for them. [/sarcasm] If I do half my job in an acceptable manner, and half of it incompetently then I will be fired and not praised for the half I did right.

Yea, they do what they should be doing in the first place. Good for them. [/sarcasm] If I do half my job in an acceptable manner, and half of it incompetently then I will be fired and not praised for the half I did right.
Ah, I see. When you meet your deadlines year after year, it is unremarkable.

When you fail to meet your deadlines on a complex IT project (a type of project notorious for causing deadlines to be missed), you are to be vilified and perhaps fired.

I'm glad I don't work for you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads