[UPDATED] Dragon+: An Official D&D iOS App

Dragon Magazine on iOS apparently some folks are finding this in the iOS news stand app...I'm still investigating so in the meantime...I'm just going to put this here

Dragon Magazine on iOS

apparently some folks are finding this in the iOS news stand app...I'm still investigating so in the meantime...I'm just going to put this here

View attachment 68157

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
But, again, YOU CAN USE ANDROID APPS ON WINDOWS. Good grief, it's been repeated at least four times in this thread.

Look, if someone heard about these Dragon+ apps, and didn't have a smart phone (presuming the Android App has been released - if that turns out to be vapourware, then fair enough, criticise all you like) and wanted to see them, what would they do? Would they immediately throw up their hands and say, "Well, crap, I don't have an iPhone or an Android, so, I guess I'm SOL"? Or would they do a TEN SECOND google search and find the answer?

I had no idea about the reader thing. Honest I didn't. I happened to see it when I clicked your links. But, if I was using Chrome, meaning that I'm at least somewhat Internet savvy, wouldn't you immediately do a google search for "How do I read Dragon+ articles on a desktop machine"? Or, "How do I read an app on Windows"? Which will bring you to this thread and the answer.

It's not like it's that hard.

You'd be surprised how much people do not put effort into things, just give up instead of thinking outside the box or doing more research.

Sonny

Adventurer
But, again, YOU CAN USE ANDROID APPS ON WINDOWS. Good grief, it's been repeated at least four times in this thread.

Look, if someone heard about these Dragon+ apps, and didn't have a smart phone (presuming the Android App has been released - if that turns out to be vapourware, then fair enough, criticise all you like) and wanted to see them, what would they do? Would they immediately throw up their hands and say, "Well, crap, I don't have an iPhone or an Android, so, I guess I'm SOL"? Or would they do a TEN SECOND google search and find the answer?

I had no idea about the reader thing. Honest I didn't. I happened to see it when I clicked your links. But, if I was using Chrome, meaning that I'm at least somewhat Internet savvy, wouldn't you immediately do a google search for "How do I read Dragon+ articles on a desktop machine"? Or, "How do I read an app on Windows"? Which will bring you to this thread and the answer.

The problem being that performance on Android emulators can be odd. Even Bluestacks has apps where it will completely crash on or where performance is just poor. And while Windows 10 will be able to run iOS and Android apps, they will have to be updated by the developers themselves to allow them to do so.

These aren't huge issues, but for those who don't have a decent smart phone, there should be a native option available to them.

Sonny

Adventurer
This tweet and reply seems relevant to this conversation:

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/593899258538897408

It sounds to me like they haven't decided how much of it to make available outside iOS and android.

But, to be honest, this doesn't surprise me. They've gone 'app' for their magazines, and it seems like a very good delivery mechanism. I'm guessing if there is enough demand, they'll publish the articles on the website (though I suppose they'll need to find a way to include the ads and whatnot).

AD

This is good news. Especially since tablet sales have slowed down and they aren't the PC killers everyone expected them to be. Personally though, I like reading Magazines and books on my iPad and iPhone.

MartyW

Explorer

Don't move the goal posts of the debate just because you were mistaken.

One poster said essentially, "Hey, why only Andriod and iOS and not the web?" and you guys have repeatedly used "It will be on the web! See? It says so right here!"

But you are not correct based on the tweet posted (https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/593899258538897408).

Whether you can run an Android app on Windows or a iOS app on a Mac through some emulator is not relevant to the point being debated, because the original poster was asking "Why isn't it available on the web?"

It isn't and won't be unless Wizards changes their minds based on user feedback.

lkj

Hero

One poster said essentially, "Hey, why only Andriod and iOS and not the web?" and you guys have repeatedly used "It will be on the web! See? It says so right here!"

But you are not correct based on the tweet posted (https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/593899258538897408).

Whether you can run an Android app on Windows or a iOS app on a Mac through some emulator is not relevant to the point being debated, because the original poster was asking "Why isn't it available on the web?"

It isn't and won't be unless Wizards changes their minds based on user feedback.

I'm not interested in getting involved in the debate. But it should be said that it doesn't appear (to me) that they are saying they've decided not to do it and have to be convinced otherwise. Rather they are considering ways to do it and haven't settled on their final plan in that regard. (So could be 'all', 'none', or 'some')

AD

Agamon

Adventurer
Wow, this thread has really turned into great example of pedanticism. Where's my popcorn? It might be more interesting to count kernels.

Hussar

Legend

Nope. No one has said it will be on the web. What has been said is that you can read the articles on your desktop if you like.

It most likely won't be on the web.
[MENTION=81764]Captn[/MENTION]Zapp is the one who said he was "forced" to use a smart phone. That's not true since you can read apps on a desktop.

You're the one who insisted (and even blogged) that you can't print the articles. That's not true. They can be printed.

All of this is easily available. We're talking very simple steps to take. Sorry if I can't muster up any sympathy for someone who cannot take a few moments to google a solution, or, despite repeated posts in this thread, just asking how to do it instead of trying to tell everyone it can't be done.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
To me, if the choice is to release the Apple app early and then the Android one later, or to wait for both to be ready before releasing anything then I choose for the Apple app to be released now.

But I have learned that I can use Chrome to run Android apps from this thread so thank you for that.

Remove ads

Remove ads