• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Upstairs for NeMoran's Vault?

QuaziquestGM

First Post
I don't believe it to be a major spoiler that the 3e "starter" module NeMoran's Vualt by Firey Dragon takes place in an underground vault beneath a deserted mansion. This vault holds the famly crypt, amongst other things, and this crypt has been well sealed for 40 years.

I've often thought that a glaring flaw with the module is the lack of any details as to the actual mansion. What happens if the PC's decide to stop exploring the basement and go have a look around the house?

I've been wanting to find another module with a haunted or deserted manor house or mansion to set on top of the vault. The problem I've been runing into with this, is that nearly every one I find has it's own family crypt in the basement as an important plot element conflicting with the NeMoran's vault plot of a well sealed crypt, Or has an extensive hidden underground dungeon system that would make the area under the house a bit too crowded for me to fit another Vault down there.

Can y'all help me find a "house" module that will fit?

Requirements:

1) Needs to be a large house, befitting a Baron and regional govenor.

2) No vast underground complex. A underground storange area is fine, as that is where the Vault entrance is concealed anyway.

3)Low level. The Vault is rated for Level 1 PCs

4)No use of the family crypt as a plot element.

5)abandoned for 5 years or less, and in otherwise good repair. This has to do with the plot of the Vault. The place isn't falling down, and noone is supposed to be living there. Of course that dosen't mean that it is acaully uninhabited.....

6)rural area, or doesn't matter to the plot if the house is moved to the edge of town. The mansion in the Vault is a short distance from town.

7) Editon really doesn't matter, though too much 4e silliness may not mesh well with a 3e module in the basement.

Any suggestions?

meomwt

First Post
I don't believe it to be a major spoiler that the 3e "starter" module NeMoran's Vualt by Firey Dragon takes place in an underground vault beneath a deserted mansion. This vault holds the famly crypt, amongst other things, and this crypt has been well sealed for 40 years.

I've often thought that a glaring flaw with the module is the lack of any details as to the actual mansion. What happens if the PC's decide to stop exploring the basement and go have a look around the house?

I've been wanting to find another module with a haunted or deserted manor house or mansion to set on top of the vault. The problem I've been runing into with this, is that nearly every one I find has it's own family crypt in the basement as an important plot element conflicting with the NeMoran's vault plot of a well sealed crypt, Or has an extensive hidden underground dungeon system that would make the area under the house a bit too crowded for me to fit another Vault down there.

Requirements:

2) No vast underground complex. A underground storange area is fine, as that is where the Vault entrance is concealed anyway.

5)abandoned for 5 years or less, and in otherwise good repair. This has to do with the plot of the Vault. The place isn't falling down, and noone is supposed to be living there. Of course that dosen't mean that it is acaully uninhabited.....

6)rural area, or doesn't matter to the plot if the house is moved to the edge of town. The mansion in the Vault is a short distance from town.

7) Editon really doesn't matter, though too much 4e silliness may not mesh well with a 3e module in the basement.

Any suggestions?

I didn't bother turning the mansion house into an adventure. I had it kept in good repair and goor order by the NeMoren family retainers, and used as a base of operations by the players after they ahd completed the module. I didn't even bother mapping it, IIRC - a bit of a mistake, then, when it was attacked by an enraged tribe of orcs, whose nest had been decimated by the PC's, and found out about the mansion via a tip-off from the town Mayor.

Klaus

First Post

Requirements:

Any suggestions?
The NeMoren Mansion is abandoned, but far from disrepair. The Reading of the Will scene, for instance, takes place inside the mansion. It is assumed that the PCs retreat back into the mansion to rest when needed. Fiery Dragon might include a map for the Mansion in a 4e update of the module.

Keep in mind that the West Wood Barony is a frontier region, so the NeMoren Mansion would be a bit of a fortified manor house.

QuaziquestGM

First Post
No, a module is what I am looking for, though if nothing else works the Haunted house map will work.

I don't think that Morrick fits the bill. 2 adventures with a cursed/tainted water supply plot would probably confuse the players too much....and the range on the Morrick curse would also mess with the NeMoran monsters....

I've also looked at Tegal Manor, but it seems a bit....ah...complicated in the style that old Judges Guild mods tend to be.

I've also rejected Hackmaster's A Slaughterhouse Indigo.

So, what other Manors are out there?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
No, a module is what I am looking for, though if nothing else works the Haunted house map will work.

The reason that I mentioned the map is that all of your requirements save for one* amount to little other than flavor text adjustments. Indeed, you pretty much spelled out the flavor text that you want in your list of requirments. ;) I figured you could use that flavor text, snag the map, and add your own encounters, thus meeting all of your requirements 100% and saving $15 or so in the process.

*The one about no high-level encounters. And since the map has no encounters, it arguably meets that requirement, too.

Last edited:

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
There's an old module from Dungeon #35 "The Ghost of Mistmoor," (I think that's the name) that would probably work well for this. A key plot point is getting into the vault of the house. Its a great low-level haunted mansion module, and easily updated to 3E or (I would imagine) to 4E. I ran it for 3.5 and it went off very well, and the mansion and nobleman who the PC's helped out became a recurring NPC/location.

Rereading your OP, I think this would really work perfectly. Its fits all of your criteria (well, its been abandoned a little longer than five years, but the place is in fair condition).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads