Urban fantasy? (that isn't WoD)

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
I'd suggest virtually any dedicated urban fantasy system will have some degree of setting assumptions baked in. If you want to avoid that, I'm back to suggesting finding a generic system that handles at least moderate levels of power well and going that way (as Danny above obviously is considering).
Urban Shadows doesn’t really have a setting. It has a bunch of playbooks, but not much in the way of setting books.

Night Shift has four separate campaign settings in the core rulebook. They’re basically kitchen sink urban fantasy setting #1, kitchen sink setting #2 (not sure why there are two of these, I couldn’t tell the difference), post-apocalyptic setting with supernatural monsters, and a magic school setting.

d20 Modern had distinct writeups for “Shadow Chasers” (Buffy-style monster hunting) and “Urban Arcana” (D&D monsters and races end up in contemporary Earth, hidden by the veil of Shadow).

Aside from that, I got nothing.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Urban Shadows doesn’t really have a setting. It has a bunch of playbooks, but not much in the way of setting books.

The less specific the mechanics around supernatural are, the less what I said will be true, but notice I said "setting assumptions" not "setting". You can have baked in setting assumptions without a setting to go with them. As an example that was discussed--are vampires bodies possessed by demons? That's a setting assumption even if there's no meaningful setting to go with it.

Night Shift has four separate campaign settings in the core rulebook. They’re basically kitchen sink urban fantasy setting #1, kitchen sink setting #2 (not sure why there are two of these, I couldn’t tell the difference), post-apocalyptic setting with supernatural monsters, and a magic school setting.

d20 Modern had distinct writeups for “Shadow Chasers” (Buffy-style monster hunting) and “Urban Arcana” (D&D monsters and races end up in contemporary Earth, hidden by the veil of Shadow).

Aside from that, I got nothing.

At least D20 Modern was stuffed with setting assumptions baked into the material, especially in its magic and monsters.

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
I also forgot GURPS. There's Blood Types, Shapeshifters, several books on magic systems... Good stuff!

Btw, I'm currently working on my own treatments for urban fantasy settings. I have one on "romanticized vampires" that's basically a grab bag: there's undead vampires, living vampires, half-vampires, pureblood vampires, the whole lot. I only just started the sections on covens and bloodlines, because damn do I have my work cut out for me.

aramis erak

Legend
Urban Fantasy... it's a broad clade... Thinking its time
Ranging from huge conspiracies in ...
  • Dresden Files,
  • Old and New WoD,
  • Chill,
  • Bureau 13 (Great novel, not great game)
  • BTVS/Angel (excepting certain episodes; Season 4 gets a bit gonzo, too...)
to the overt holocaust-changes in
  • Deadlands, (multiple timeframes)
  • End of the World Return of the Gods,
  • Shadowrun.
  • Ghostbusters
  • Buffy/Angel, at end of Buffy S7
  • GURPS: Weird War II
Invisible wars...
  • Highlander
  • Buffy
  • In Nomine
  • oWoD (Camarilla vs Sabbat, Technocracy vs Order of Hermes, Black Spiral Dancers vs Everyone....)
Then the not quite normal flavors...
  • Street Fighter has magic, some real monsters, some other weirdness... and nobody notices.
  • Feng Shui - time travel, magic, ubertech, snake-people, animals hiding in human form.... and being disbelieved by oh so many.
  • Some of the Wrestling focused games also cross into the urban fantasy space.
  • Judge Dredd RPG (Games Workshop Version) - in the JD Companion, Judge Exorcists...
  • Kobolds Ate My Baby (It's set in the modern world... but with Kobolds added...)

Quite a range

Remove ads