D&D 5E Urgent, for tonight's game: Making a Swarm

the Jester

Legend
Do we really need swarms/ mobs?

Of course not- but some of us find them fun. I sure do. And I think they're a great way to model "one man vs. an army" scenarios.

It's not a bad idea, but even of upwards of a dozen creatures, they already all share the same initiative count, and you're basically rolling 1d20 and adding a number around +5 to it.

You could resolve all 12 of those creatures turns in under a minute, even using miniatures (possible move, roll attack, turn ends, repeat).

Sure, but swarms are a way to make an encounter a bit different and, sometimes, more interesting.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I used a zombie swarm not that long ago. It just added flavor to the game.

As far as mobs, I just find it makes for a faster pace of combat.
That pace is a good thing too. If you're using a swarm you're probably talking about enemies form the annoyance and maybe mook levels. I don't want to get bogged down doing that. I also make really sparing use of miniature, and mobs and swarms are way easier to run off a sketch or just via description.This also made me think of a good band name - Counting Kobolds.

dave2008

Legend
Do we really need swarms/ mobs?

It's not a bad idea, but even of upwards of a dozen creatures, they already all share the same initiative count, and you're basically rolling 1d20 and adding a number around +5 to it.

You could resolve all 12 of those creatures turns in under a minute, even using miniatures (possible move, roll attack, turn ends, repeat).
Need no, are the interesting and useful - yes. As @the Jester has noted a swarm is more than the sum of its parts.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Thanks, everyone! I used the vine blights in last night's game, and I now have a variety of approaches next time I want/need a swarm. All the ideas and suggestions were great, so feel free to add to the thread if you know of any more!

Remove ads