• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Use that Magic Device!

helium3

First Post
Uhhh, I play a rogue that has max ranks in UMD and has an item that gives me a +5 competence bonus to my UMD checks. I use the skill all the time. Just because another character in our party can cast a spell doesn't mean that they (a) have the time to cast it and (b) have it prepared.

It's pretty likely that what your players need are examples of how to use the skill to best effect.

Morrow

First Post
krunchyfrogg said:
Don't feel bad because your players decided to create a balanced party. UMD gets the most mileage out of small parties, or ones that aren't balanced.

I don't feel bad, I'm just trying to come up with opportunities to use a little used ability. Magic items seemed like a good place to start.

Examples of what I am looking for:

The Lightning Lance from Lords of Madness (pg. 115) is only usable by a Grell.
The Serpent Symbol from Monster Manual II (pg. 194) is only usable by Yuan-ti.

I know there are others out there. I was hoping the great ENWorld hivemind could help me find them.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
i just don't understand why your players would continue to develop a skill they obviously have very little use for. And that statement applies both in a roleplaying and powergaming sense.

axp_dave

First Post
Corsair said:
Just slap a random race/alignment restriction on an item they find in the next treasure horde. That +4 Cloak of Resistance? Sorry, it can only be used by Evil Gnomes. Good luck finding someone interested in buying that off the party. :)

I think that is a great idea. Make the magic item a unique item custom to your campaign. Each group, historical or current, in your campaign would have unique items tailored to their classes or races.

David

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Kvantum said:
Looks like no paladin in the party. Demon + holy sword that only a LG or paladin can use = Rogue really wanting to make his UMD check.

I did this in an Evil Greyhawk game. My Disciple of Beelzebub conned a Holy Avenger into thinking he was a LG paladin. It was very effective.

Engilbrand

First Post
They should speak up and ask for new items. Going beyond that, here's an idea:

The Wizard uses a Wand and it runs out of uses, but it still registers as magic. It just won't work. The Rogue picks it up and UMDs it, and it goes off. Allow UMD on a spent item to allow extra uses of it. Maybe it can only be used for another week before all of the magic is gone. Maybe he gets a 20 to get it off, but next time he needs a 21, or a 25. It wouldn't last forever. It would just give it a little extra usefulness. The basic idea is that he tricks a Wand into believing that it has "just one more" charge. He can still do that for a while. You could make it so that it gets weaker as time goes on and he can only use it a certain number of times per day. Maybe the first check decides how long it lasts for.

Examples of some cases:

1. The Wizard burns out the 10th level Fireball Wand. The Rogue realizes that it still has "stuff" in it. He UMDs it and gets at 30. For the next 10 days, a UMD of 25 will set the Wand off. After that, it burns out. If his check was a 45 (somehow), then the Rogue would have 25 days at a DC of 25. Or you just make it equal to the check over 20. DC 30 lasts for 10 days. If he got a 45, it would be a DC 45 check over 25 days. Change to taste.

2. The Wizard burns out the 10th level Fireball Wand. The Rogue realizes that it still has "stuff" in it. He UMDs it during the next encounter that day. It goes off at level 10. Each day after that, it loses another caster level until it hits 0. Then all of the magic is gone. For every 5 points by which he beats the DC of 20, it retains or recoups a level for that use. If it's been 2 days, it has a caster level of 8. If he rolls a 36, it's a caster level of 10 for that shot. If he had gotten a 25, it would only be at a caster level of 9 for that use. After that, it's back to the normal CL of 8.

3. The Wizard burns out the 10th level Fireball Wand. The Rogue realizes that it still has "stuff" in it. He picks it up and can UMD it for the next week to have it go off. Only UMD will work to activate it. Each use increases the DC by 1. After a certain amount of time, it's used up. Maybe each day increases the DC by 1, too.

Those are just a few ideas. It's possible to think outside the box. Those characters are now interested in Wands when they're used and the other characters might be more willing to use up their stuff because they know that it will still be valuable.

What do you do about scrolls? I would allow one extra cast from a scroll with a UMD check equal to 10 + (2 x caster level). This makes it viable up until around level 10, probably even past that. After that, though, the complex magic inherent in spells becomes too much for a "simple" Rogue to handle. Scrolls can be used for one more week, and only with an appropriate UMD check. If the check is failed, the extra use is lost. I would assume that a DC 50 check might be difficult, even at level 20. If I'm wrong, then make it 20 as a base instead of 10. DC 60 HAS to be difficult.

Vanye

Explorer
Morrow said:
I don't feel bad, I'm just trying to come up with opportunities to use a little used ability. Magic items seemed like a good place to start.
<snip>
I know there are others out there. I was hoping the great ENWorld hivemind could help me find them.

There are some items in the Magic Item Compendium that would be good. For example, the Cli Lyre requires it's user to have 10 ranks in Perform (string instruments) or it bestows a negative level, but in return once perday you can do a break enchantment, Dim Door, or shout spell.

Remove ads