D&D 5E Uses for Minor Alchemy

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
The Transmuter has a special ability called Minor Alchemy that allows it to transform some common substances into others for up to 1 hour. One idea I had was to use this ability to transform cheap substances like wood or iron into silver, and then buying expensive goods with it (while disguised, of course!).

I'm curious to hear what other clever uses people have thought of for this feature.

Paraxis

Explorer
I would use disguise self spell and turn copper pieces into silver pieces, spend them. The reason to use copper pieces is so when they turn back the merchant is more likely to assume some kind of error in bookkeeping occurred before assuming foul magics.

[video=youtube;_g_ml8tAnWE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_ml8tAnWE[/video]

I can also see using it to cover pit traps or set up deadfalls, a thin wood plank turned to stone or iron then in an instant turned back.

The mass of an object could be increased or decreased easily with this ability, so for instance a crossbow bolt made of iron could be turned into wood, fired and right before impact turned back into iron.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I need to look at the spell but a big use would be for shaping an object, you can turn metal into say hair or string, wrap it around something and you then have a spring when it turns back.

Paraxis

Explorer
Can you use it to make a:

rope
ladder
sword
plate mail
caltrops
oil
skeleton key?

The way it is worded you can't.

It only works on 1 cubic foot of material, the material has to be entirely of one type off a short list, it doesn't mention reshaping the item, only changing it from one form of matter to another, like iron into wood. It also only lasts 1 hour and requires concentration, all in all very limiting.

Unwise

Adventurer
I saw a character turn the hinges on an unbreakable door into lead and simply have the fighter pull it apart. Turning a stone wall into wood then lighting it on fire could be useful too. You could use it to smuggle riches or weapons past guards. Make real swords turn into toy swords, turn diamonds into glass baubles etc.

I once had a character use a similar ability in another game (granted by an item) to turn the item I wanted to steal into looking like a cheap replica. I then called the guards in the museum over to alert them to the fact. The place goes nuts, the curator comes out and opens the cabinet, tosses the 'fake' to the ground and an alert is called to find the real item. I snatch the now much less secure real one.

<edit> In every game I have ever DM'd or played, using magic to affect commerce is a capital crime. Charming a merchant or doing counterfeit etc. It makes sense, otherwise it would be rampant. Given that, you could use this ability to frame another person. You receive some coins from a noble or merchant in public, tell the guards that you think something is not right with the coins, some of the coins are coppers you have transmuted to gold, low and behold, the counterfeit is revealed before the guards very eyes. Who would suspect you? you are the honest citizen that brought the matter before them.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
This could be great for a sculptor who wants to craft his artworks more quickly. Turn a lump of gold or marble into wood, then quickly and easily whittle it into shape before it reverts.

Paraxis

Explorer
This could be great for a sculptor who wants to craft his artworks more quickly. Turn a lump of gold or marble into wood, then quickly and easily whittle it into shape before it reverts.

Yeah that is about the most interesting thing I can think of too.

There are things you can do to wood you could never do to metal, and vice versa. Detailed wood carvings but when it returns to normal it is some of the nicest silver work you can imagine, or since this is fantasy and magic what about a wooden block turned to copper or iron and worked in a forge, folding and tempering a blade then the end result reverts to wood, maybe razor sharp hardened wooden weapons for elves or druids just for the look and feel but the function is that of a metal blade.

Ohh vandalism, I can see young transmuters going around making a stone block into wood and carving names and stuff.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases