D&D 3E/3.5 Uses for Nystul's Undetectable Aura?

Voadam

Legend
NUA objects

I forget if undead and constructs are considered objects and therefore could be targeted by NUA so that personal buffing spells on such creatures (or PCs if you use _Mythic Races_) would be shielded without resort to the Sage's suggestion.

I know undead only need to make fortitude saves if a spell or effect works on objects, but I'm not sure if that means they can be targeted by spells that only have an object target.

If so then buffed skeletons and zombies can be protected fairly easily.

Dark Dragon said:
Nystul's Undetectabla Aura could be very useful to hide magic ... illusions (illusory walls above pits, in front of tunnels, invisible creatures). Because Detect Magic is rather nasty for such things, NUA is a good counter-spell, supposed there's someone who reactivates the aura before it fades out.

But the spells says you have to cast it on an object, and an Illusion, while probably very convincing, isn't an object. :(

I'd been thinking that I wish my Halfling Wizard had this spell about now. Walking around town with a Belt Pouch of Holding is making me nervous, espeically since I tend to carry nearly everything in it (85lb cap.) Sure I'm going to be a target for thiefs anyhow, but if they're real professionals they'll have means of detecting magical items, and then they'd most definately be after my magical pouch.

The other idea, and one I may try out, is to use a Glove of Shrinking to Shrink an item or weapon down to indetectability, then slap Nystul's Undetectable Aura on the glove and viola, you're completely unarmed, but still loaded for bear.

To support those that mentioned liberally tossing the spell on your more valuable magical items I'll add this scenario/example. Say you have something like a Folding Boat. Looks like a crate unless you Detect Magic. Who's going to steal a crate? Or say you have a Figurine of Wonderous Power in your home. Toss on the NUA and, should you be robbed while away, you simply let it be known that you'd like a certain statuette returned to you (for a small reward) as it's got sentimental value attached. Small keep-sake statues don't cost nearly as much to ransom as a magial figurine would.

I'd though of that 'disguise' for someone under the effets of a Charm Person spell, but was pretty sure it wouldn't work. Otherwise you'd be able to cover-up someone with shape changing magic as well (as was brought up as well I believe).

Hatchling Dragon

Last edited:

wakedown

Explorer
The other idea, and one I may try out, is to use a Glove of Shrinking to Shrink an item or weapon down to indetectability, then slap Nystul's Undetectable Aura on the glove and viola, you're completely unarmed, but still loaded for bear.

We had good success on a Glove of Storing with NUA to get into a 'no magic party' along with a Bag of Holding with other important magic items to support basement infiltration.

In a world with a lot of magic, you'd have to assume paranoid rulers and nobles would be spamming Detect Magic with a teen plucked out of wizard school at the entrance to every party or business negotiation, especially given economics in 3e where hiring a wizard for the day to broker a 10,000gp trade agreement to spam Detect Magic saves you from being subjected to a Charm or Suggestion.

Remove ads