Using Chainmail with D&D?

clockworkjoe

First Post
I've gotten interested in trying out chainmail, but I already played a lot of warhammer. I don't need just another wargame. How useful is chainmail for a d&d campaign?

Say you want to run a skirmish with the players and the town militia versus 40 orcs and a shaman and a monster or two. Should I bother with chainmail or just run via GM fiat?
Anyone got any experiences/opinions on chainmail in general?

Drew

Explorer
Chainmail is not really a useful tool for D&D. As it currently stands, it isn't meant to be a set of rules to simulate skirmish combat in D&D. The character stats included with the game are fairly weak by most campaign standards. They are all about 1-3 CR creatures. If your PCs are of mid to high level, they will be very difficult to convert with the given Chainmail rules and they would easily mop the floor with most Chainmail creatures.

Chainmail is a skirmish level miniatures war game. Its contains 3E rules streamlined to make it flow more smoothly for a wargame.
Its very good for what it is. The current rules are incomplete, but there is more stuff coming out all the time, and they can only get better.

Bottom line: Don't buy Chainmail as a D&D supplement. Its not. Do buy Chainmail as a really neat wargame using the rules and creatures that we all know and love as D&D.

Drew

PS: This is not Warhammer. The game itself takes 1-2 hours to play, but it only takes about 10 minutes to build an army, and it only costs about $40 to get all the minis you need.

Last edited:

Remove ads