Using Extended Monitor

pjrake

Explorer
i'm trying to set up a monitor for my players to view images (mostly). is there a program out there (or even a default vista program) that will allow me to drag an image to the second monitor and when it's dropped it will fill the screen (with a nice black background).

i currently have Picasa and it's not quite working the way i want it to. it shows all my pictures in thumbnail view at the bottom with no option to remove it. when i click something on my laptop (main screen), the image on the extended monitor goes away.

the only "solution" i found is using powerpoint, but when i find an image online quickly, i have to create a new slide, and it's a bit time consuming. i really just wanna find an image online, drag it to the extended monitor, and it "snaps" and fits the screen... staying there until i remove it or replace it.

anybody have any suggestions?

-PJ

SiderisAnon

First Post
I don't know your setup, so I can't guarantee this will work for you. I was able to do this.

First, span your desktop/display area across both screens. Make sure the one at your desk is your primary so it has the task bar. What this means is that you can drag a program over to the left/right side and it drops to the other screen. (See your video setup for how to do this. Depends on your video card and OS.)

Second, get a lightweight program like Irfanview for viewing images. IrfanView Double-click on an image (or if it's on the web, copy and then paste into Irfanview). Then drag the Irfanwiew window over to the other monitor (which player's see). Press the full screen option and the image blows up to fill the monitor. (I think it's the "Enter" key in the current version.)

You may have to adjust Irfanview's properties to have a black background. I don't remember what's default. Also, there's a display option that has no borders at all if you look through the menus.

You can also set up a list of files in a directory like "01", "02", et cetera and then use the page down key to cycle through them. This is useful if you know you want do show a sequence of images.

pjrake

Explorer
I don't know your setup, so I can't guarantee this will work for you. I was able to do this.

First, span your desktop/display area across both screens. Make sure the one at your desk is your primary so it has the task bar. What this means is that you can drag a program over to the left/right side and it drops to the other screen. (See your video setup for how to do this. Depends on your video card and OS.)

Second, get a lightweight program like Irfanview for viewing images. IrfanView Double-click on an image (or if it's on the web, copy and then paste into Irfanview). Then drag the Irfanwiew window over to the other monitor (which player's see). Press the full screen option and the image blows up to fill the monitor. (I think it's the "Enter" key in the current version.)

You may have to adjust Irfanview's properties to have a black background. I don't remember what's default. Also, there's a display option that has no borders at all if you look through the menus.

You can also set up a list of files in a directory like "01", "02", et cetera and then use the page down key to cycle through them. This is useful if you know you want do show a sequence of images.

so far i downloaded two programs: faststone image viewer and ifranview. fastone is the "closest" i've gotten to what i want to accomplish. there's a "dual monitor" setting where if i choose "preview" it will show the images on my second monitor (in fullscreen) but there's no way of "turning it off" and it MUST show an image all the timie. i don't want this.

and with infraview i dragged the program to the second monitor but it shows all the toolbar and it's not really what i want to do.

basically i want to view my image folders on my main screen, and then when i select or double-click the image it will display it in fullscreen on the second monitor.

-PJ

Asmor

First Post
You might try IrfanView.

It's my favorite image viewer, very fast and lightweight.

Pressing enter will display your image in full screen, taking up whichever monitor it's currently on, and with a black background.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
DisplayFusion is a wallpaper/image management utility that I like a lot. It allows drag-and-drop of maximized windows, and it allows separate wallpapers for each monitor.

SiderisAnon

First Post
You might try IrfanView.

Pressing enter will display your image in full screen, taking up whichever monitor it's currently on, and with a black background.

You may want to also look at the Properties/Settings under Options menu. The Full Screen / Slideshow settings will allow you to turn off the text that is displayed in base full screen mode that lists the filename. It will also let you decide whether to stretch all images to the full size of the window (which you probably want to do).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
there's a "dual monitor" setting where if i choose "preview" it will show the images on my second monitor (in fullscreen) but there's no way of "turning it off" and it MUST show an image all the timie. i don't want this.

-PJ

make a black/blank image that you show when you dont want to show anything.

XCorvis

First Post
basically i want to view my image folders on my main screen, and then when i select or double-click the image it will display it in fullscreen on the second monitor.

-PJ

I would also use irfanview for this.

On your main screen is an image folder. Double click the image you want. If it pops up on your screen, drag it to the other screen. While the window is selected, hit Enter. It will go full screen. To get rid of it, hit ESC twice (once will cancel fullscreen, the second will close the window).

pjrake

Explorer
I would also use irfanview for this.

On your main screen is an image folder. Double click the image you want. If it pops up on your screen, drag it to the other screen. While the window is selected, hit Enter. It will go full screen. To get rid of it, hit ESC twice (once will cancel fullscreen, the second will close the window).

I'm going to try this... thanks!

-PJ

Remove ads