D&D 5E Using Subclasses at Level 1?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So I’m assuming that with this, you are simply granting all the initial subclass abilities at 1st level, correct?

Might be a little more interesting to break them up, or even add an ability here and there.

Another thing that bugs me about subclasses is that for some classes, the abilities are really spread out. For example, the rogue had a huge gap: it get subclass abilities at 3 and then not until 9. That sucks.

Yes, I am granting all subclass features for the initial choice at level 1. I could spread them out some but many only have a single feature or maybe two at the first stage.

Yeah, I've looked at the RAW subclass levels and they "average" around 2.33m 6.5, 11.09, and 15.75

I would rather see them at 1, 6, 11, and 16, maybe moving the 16th level ASI to 15th. The Bard only has 3 and the Fighter gets 5, all the others are 4. It would be easy to tweak things around a level or two here or there to make it work consistently.

I understand why rogues have their gap because they get a lot of nice features there, but like I said some rearranging could remove it.

GlassJaw

Hero
Yeah, I've looked at the RAW subclass levels and they "average" around 2.33m 6.5, 11.09, and 15.75

I would rather see them at 1, 6, 11, and 16, maybe moving the 16th level ASI to 15th. The Bard only has 3 and the Fighter gets 5, all the others are 4. It would be easy to tweak things around a level or two here or there to make it work consistently.

I know it's personal preference but I don't like subclass abilities that are granted more than 4 levels apart, especially when when of those abilities is a ribbon. Again, I use the rogue as the prime example: Thief and Assassin in essence get their "subclass-defining" abilities at level 3, then have to wait 6 levels (level 9) for a social/exploration ribbon.

The abilities are good but it's a long time to wait. Again, personal preference, but I want the subclass to have more of an impact on the class overall. I'd like to see subclass abilities granted at levels 1, 3, 6, 9, 13, 17. 6 subclass abilities is probably too many but that's the rate and interval I'd prefer.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I know it's personal preference but I don't like subclass abilities that are granted more than 4 levels apart, especially when when of those abilities is a ribbon. Again, I use the rogue as the prime example: Thief and Assassin in essence get their "subclass-defining" abilities at level 3, then have to wait 6 levels (level 9) for a social/exploration ribbon.

The abilities are good but it's a long time to wait. Again, personal preference, but I want the subclass to have more of an impact on the class overall. I'd like to see subclass abilities granted at levels 1, 3, 6, 9, 13, 17. 6 subclass abilities is probably too many but that's the rate and interval I'd prefer.

Sure, everyone has preferences. Maybe doing them at the ASI levels? So, 1, 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19 for capstone? That would be 6 still and enough of them early on but not quite as quickly. A lot does depend on what the abilities are, certainly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases