• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using "Turning" slots to power PrC

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Just a quick query to pick the designer's brains:

I'm looking at creating a PrC for a cleric in my group, and I plan to power some of the abilities with "turn undead" usages instead of the 1/day approach. This seems to be a good, flexible approach that makes the Turn Undead have use when there are not undead around to be fought. This PrC will continue to gain Turning as a cleric, so they won't drop that behind either.

I am curious about people's feelings about this. Does it tend to make the cleric even-too-much-more powerful since the "only useful sometimes" ability now has wide application.

Certainly this has been done in a number of PrCs out there, so I'm hoping there is some experience with it.

John

Chacal

First Post
I like it (I'm using it for a Brandobaris base priest class).
I don't see any problem with this rule. Yes it gives more power to the cleric, which is already (IMO) too good in too many areas but that's aproblem with the cleric, not the mechanism.

BTW, if your PrC isn't undead realted, you might want to remove the normal Turn/Rebuke use.

Chacal

Kale78

First Post
I don't see any problem at all. There are already feats out there that allow the use of the Turn/Rebuke ability to create special effects, so why not a class based on that?

Malin Genie

First Post
What sort of benefits do you intend to have powered by Turning attempts (ones that are thematically tied to positive energy are possibly most appropriate....)

It's a good general idea; as a cleric player I like Feats that make Turning more versatile.

One word of warning though - if you give a Cleric PrC both full spell avancement and Turning advancement, she is giving up nothing and so the benefits should be less than if she either had to give up Turning advancement or some spellcasting levels...

fba827

Adventurer
Malin Genie said:
What sort of benefits do you intend to have powered by Turning attempts (ones that are thematically tied to positive energy are possibly most appropriate....)

It's a good general idea; as a cleric player I like Feats that make Turning more versatile.

One word of warning though - if you give a Cleric PrC both full spell avancement and Turning advancement, she is giving up nothing and so the benefits should be less than if she either had to give up Turning advancement or some spellcasting levels...

Well, don't forget there are also HD to play with (make it 6d) or skills (lessen the class list considerably). Possibly impose some serious restrictions (can't use X, Y, and Z similar to what a druid has for weapons -- but, people tend to not like the restirction idea over benefit idea).

anyway, just tossing out some other things that could help offset the fact that full spellcasting and turn undead would be granted

(oh, also if you do not make too many drawbacks (such as only removing one skill from the class skill list or something) then steep up the requirements.)

Greybar

No Trouble at All
I've been meaning to dig out my notes and post in more length, but here's the rough of it -

Soul of Light

intended for clerics, requires ability to turn, know(relig)
devotees of Llassa (Domains: Light, Healing, Good)

theme - mystical inner light, turned to radiate to the world
"In each of us is kindled the light of life. The devout seek to build up the strength of that light so that others may see it within us. Seek always the clarity of truth, which is to be found first in knowing your innermost light, and only second in the wisdom of others. Be always on guard for those who have allowed their own light to be corrupted. In this you will find that Her light is enough to destroy any shadowed soul, if you have learned enough of your own innermost clarity to channel it."

Characteristic ability - the Soul of Light literally shines, light suffusing through her skin. This isn't always a good thing, if you're trying to hide in the dark...

Tradeoffs -
(con) Lowered BAB, Lowered HD
(pro) continued spellcasting and turning
TBD - skill details

Envisioned powers, working through the mechanic of using turning slots to push forth the positive energy of the soul's inner light -
* Light effects (daylight spell, mostly non-combat)
* Combat light effects (searing light spell or similar idea)
* Healing effects
* Defensive effects - sacred bonus to AC, saves, perhaps tied to Wisdom or Charisma bonus
* Positive Energy Burst

The culmination of the PrC will be a transformational step into a celestial being. (apply template, gain Outsider status, etc)

John

Greybar

No Trouble at All
fba827,

I hadn't thought of the weapon/armor restriction idea. That might fit really well with the feel for the religion, which has certain pacifistic elements.

Hmm.. How much would it be worth to a cleric to take away their armor? Not just heavy armor. All of it.

This would be offset somewhat by sacred AC bonuses given through the class, but not enough to really let them be the front-line bruisers they sometimes are.

Weapon-wise, they could be restricted to those favored by Llassa herself - which would pretty much mean the quarterstaff and unarmed attacks. I'm not quite as thrilled on that side, but it might also not really be that much of a restriction. The PC that this PrC will be for already uses a quarterstaff pretty much exclusively.

John

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads