• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[v.3.5] Knightfall's Mirrored Cosmology

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OTHER DEMON LORDS
Here's a short list of those demon lords, from the list in Fiendish Codex I, that have some influence both on the World of Kulan and on Dark World.
  • Adimarchus
  • Alzrius
  • Eblis
  • Eltab
  • Mastiphal
  • Rhyxali
  • Soneillon (Sep's version)
  • Turgalas (this is the one demon lord that has become a deity, in my cosmology)
Also, this cosmology has several unique demons associated with it, which can be found on this thread. Many of these unique demons are associated primarily with the World of Kulan; however, some have considerable power beyond that world.
Here's the list...
  • Asinmuntah
  • Atterastrum
  • Damamedianoche
  • Dambloed
  • Diekoningopdieberg
  • Doodenhaat
  • Doodvrouw
  • Indulges in Reveries (fallen plantar)
  • Kaxathros
  • Mestarijää
  • Niveuerus
  • Pohjoinen Koira
More will be added to that thread as I come up with new ideas.

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OTHER POWERFUL "DEVILS"
There are many more powerful devils spread throughout the Mirrored Cosmology, and not all of them pay fealty to the Archdevil's of Baator. These powerful devils aren't always baatezu either. The most powerful of these are the lawful "demons" of the Ten Courts.

The Yama Kings of the Ten Courts of Hell
Like with the Archdevils of Baator, the Yama Kings of the Ten Courts each rule a layer (known as a Court). See pages 165 to 178 of Beyond Countless Doorways for complete details on the Ten Courts of Hell.

Court's Ruler
1. Ghost Judge Yama
2. Mud King
3. Eternal Yama Queen
4. Inkstone King
5. Whip Hand King
6. Clockwork Serpent Queen
7. Bronze Bell King
8. Snow King
9. Midnight King
10. Yama King of Kings

Of all these Courts only one is ruled by a true baatezu devil. The Whip Hand King is a cornugon devil. Note that, in my cosmology, Tiamat has relocated to the Ten Courts and lives on The Sixth Court in a underground lair known as The Chromatic Warren.

She is the Clockwork Serpent Queen's greatest ally, and it is believed that if the Queen can move up to The Seventh Court, she will ask the Yama King of Kings to let her pass on the mantle of the Sixth Court to Tiamat.

Of course, Tiamat has her own plans. :]

It is not known whether or not the ox & vampire demons and the yamado of the Ten Courts are members of the ancient Baatorian race that was overthrown by the baatezu. They claim to be, which annoys the Lords of the Nine, a lot. Asmodeus absolutely became enraged when the question was put to him by a demonic rival. (That rival died horribly.)

More likely the lawful "demons" of the Ten Courts of Hell are their own unique race of fiends. What's one more shade of evil in the grand scheme of things. However, rumors persist that ancient Baatorians have taken up residence amongst the varied denizens of the Ten Courts, and that they are planning to retake Baator, someday.

What is known is that the Blood War has never reached the Ten Courts and the denizens of the plane prefer not to be involved in that eternal conflict. As you can guess, many baatezu outcasts have relocated to the Ten Courts, which pisses off Asmodeus even more. He often sends diabolic assassins to infiltrate the Ten Courts to kill rogue baatezu. Their has even been an assassination atempt on the Whip Hand King.

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Kulanspace

Okay, so I've been thinking about the solar system for my World of Kulan campaign, and I've decided that there will be a matching world for every planet in our own solar system. I'm including both the asteroid belt and the Kuiper Belt in this creation process.

So, here's the names I've chosen...

Sun
Halne -> Mercury

Trel * -> Venus

Kulan -> Earth

V'sal -> Mars

The Floating Maze -> Asteroid Belt

Zu -> Jupiter

Karel -> Saturn

Tor -> Uranus

Seln -> Neptune

The Fracture -> Kuiper Belt

* Note that Trel was destroyed after Mussin began the Dark Purge on that world. It is now a asteroid field/belt but it isn't anywhere near as big as The Floating Maze.

Last edited:

Studio69

Banned
Banned
In this cosmology, there isn't a Positive Energy Plane or a Negative Energy Plane. I never really warmed up to those two planes, so decided to remove them. Most of the creatures native to those planes in the Core D&D Cosmology are found on The Plane of Twilight and any other planes with positive or negative energy traits.
Very interesting. How have you modified undead and healing/wounding spells to reflect their mechanics for Kulan?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Undead and this Cosmology
Undead aren't really tied to a specific inner or outer plane for this cosmology (or for Kulan).

I guess you could say that an undead creature's negative power is more internal. Intelligent undead have more control over this energy while mindless undead are animated by others or by negative energy conduits from somewhere. My Ethereal Plane has even more undead issues than it would have normally.

The Plane of Twilight has some areas that are affected by negative energy but it also has positive energy. Farspace has its negative and positive "rifts" as well. These rifts come from planes with those two energy traits but they could just as easily come from somewhere else.

Perhaps there is an unknown plane similar to the Far Realm but with twisted undead abomintions instead of pseudonaturals. Many intelligent undead wish to find this plane and learn its secrets.

I can't remember which of the lower planes have negative engery traits but negative energy could also be siphoned from the lower planes by the most vile arcanists and priests.

I haven't written anything in stone, yet.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Temporal Critters!

Attached is a zipped PDF file that contains converted stats for the monsters from the old 2E Chronomancer accessory.

Attachments

• Temporal Critters.zip
    162.8 KB · Views: 418

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
DARKLANDS

This demiplane is an alternate version of the Darklands description on page 63 of the D&D Manual of the Planes. The Darklands are a plane infused with shadow and negative energy. It is a bleak and evil place best left to the undead or to the evil cultists that live there to learn the plane's secrets.

The Darklands can only be reached through the Ethereal Plane. More specifically, a traveler must pass through the Deep Ethereal to reach the edge of the Darklands. Once there, the blackness of the deep ether opens up into a dark, twisted landscape similar to the Plane of Shadow in other cosmologies. However, the Darklands aren't an infinite plane like that plane.
_________________________________________________​

Darklands Traits
  • Normal Gravity.
  • Normal Time.
  • Finite Size.
  • Magically Morphic: Spells such as shadow conjuration and shadow evocation modify the base material of the Darklands. The utility and power of these spells within the Darklands make them particularly useful for explorers at natives alike.
  • Minor Negative-Dominant: Unprotected, living creatures take 1d6 points of damage per round on the Darklands. At 0 hit points or less, they crumble into ash. However, some areas within the plane have the major negative-dominant trait, and these regions are dominated by undead creatures such as shadows and nightshades.
  • Mildly Evil-Aligned: Good characters on the Darklands suffer a -2 penalty on all Charisma-based checks.
  • Enhanced Magic: Spells with the darkness or shadow descriptor are enhanced on the Darklands. Such spells are cast as though they were prepared with the Maximize Spell feat, though they don't require the higher spell slots. The shadow spells listed under "Enhanced Magic" for the Plane of Shadow on pg. 60 of the D&D Manual of the Planes are more powerful on the Darklands as described in that section.
  • Impeded Magic: Spells that use or generate light or fire may fizzle when cast on the Darklands. A spellcaster attempting a spell with the light or fire descriptor must succeed at a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + the level of the spell). Spells that produce light are less effective in general, because all light sources have their ranges halved on the Darklands.
_________________________________________________​

Features of the Darklands
· Castle Perilous (MotP, pg. 82)
· Death Heart (MotP, pg. 82)
· Fortress of Conclusion (Return to the Tomb of Horrors)
· Nightcrawler Chasm
→ Balefire, City of Lanterns (Dragon #322, pg. 14-20)
· The Blinding Tower (Planar Handbook, pg. 162)
· The Sargasso of Entropy (Planar Handbook, pg. 185 - 186)
· The Shining Citadel (MotP, pg. 64)
· The Veil (Planar Handbook, pg. 158)
· Voidstone (MotP, pg. 81)

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
After reading The Great Beyond, I've decided to add these three planes to my cosmology.
  • Abaddon
  • Axis
  • The Boneyard
Abaddon will be part of the Grey Waste; Axis will be its own cog on Mechanus; and The Boneyard will be part of a unique plane I call the Plane of Graves, which was originally meant to be a demiplane. Now, however, it's going to be a lot more.

I've already decided that both Pharasma and Serenrae will be deities in my cosmology. I'll likely add both Urgathoa and Zyphus as well, since those two deities have their godly realms on Abaddon. I'm less sure about the deities of Axis.

Last edited:

Remove ads