Vaesen: Mythic Britain & Ireland

Free League Publishing has announced an upcoming Vaesen: Mythic Britain & Ireland expansion to their Vaesen: Nordic Horror Roleplaying game. Vaesen uses their Year Zero Engine (e.g., Mutant: Year Zero, Aliens, Forbidden Lands, Coriolis, Tales from the Loop).

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

It will apparently be coming to Kickstarter soon, but I'm looking forward to this quite a bit. The art for Vaesen is top notch. This seems like an easier sort of mythic backdrop for English speakers to sink their teeth into than Nordic horror. I also hope that means, espsecially if this sells well, that we can get Vaesen expansions set in other areas of Europe or the world (e.g., Central Europe, etc.).

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Does the game uses the Mutant Zero engine? This may be a buy from me. I wonder how much work it would be for me to modify it to run in 5e or AGE, given these are the only systems my table care to use. We've though a lot of time to try Zero Engine, but the special dice (which cost a lot here) are a big turn-off.

Yes, it's using the Year Zero engine. But if I remember correctly from reading, it uses a relatively straight-forward version (somewhat similar to Tales from the Loop), which you can easily play with normal six-sided dice.

Aldarc

Legend
Does the game uses the Mutant Zero engine? This may be a buy from me. I wonder how much work it would be for me to modify it to run in 5e or AGE, given these are the only systems my table care to use. We've though a lot of time to try Zero Engine, but the special dice (which cost a lot here) are a big turn-off.
It does use the Year Zero Engine. I can add this to my original post.

Just want to reiterate that you don't need special dice, at all, to play Vaesen. You're looking for sixes when you roll, and the Vaesen dice that Free League sells don't even really use a non-numerical symbol to show sixes, but rather a swirly design that still shows a six.

So it's not like some games where you could use regular dice but the special ones provide clearer and quicker results (like with the d6s in Fate or 2d20). In Vaesen, and basically all Year Zero Engine games so far other than Twilight 2000, the publisher-produced dice are there for atmosphere.

That said, I think the Vaesen dice are extremely cool looking, but only in a cosmetic sense.

Tales and Chronicles

Just want to reiterate that you don't need special dice, at all, to play Vaesen. You're looking for sixes when you roll, and the Vaesen dice that Free League sells don't even really use a non-numerical symbol to show sixes, but rather a swirly design that still shows a six.

So it's not like some games where you could use regular dice but the special ones provide clearer and quicker results (like with the d6s in Fate or 2d20). In Vaesen, and basically all Year Zero Engine games so far other than Twilight 2000, the publisher-produced dice are there for atmosphere.

That said, I think the Vaesen dice are extremely cool looking, but only in a cosmetic sense.
I seem to recall there was also a free die rolling app for Mutant Y:Zero...I might give it a try.

Tales and Chronicles

...You're literally just rolling for sixes. That's it. That's all there is.

Seriously.
Yes, I know, but there's also the 3 color/type of die, which can be confusing for my players who are pretty casual and have a hard time getting a good grasp of new systems.

I dont have a problem with it myself, but some my folks dont care much for system with die pool or such. Even AGE, which is only 3d6 against a target number and you maybe get a little bonus if 2 die are the same number, was quite the challenge.

Yes, I know, but there's also the 3 color/type of die, which can be confusing for my players who are pretty casual and have a hard time getting a good grasp of new systems.

I dont have a problem with it myself, but some my folks dont care much for system with die pool or such. Even AGE, which is only 3d6 against a target number and you maybe get a little bonus if 2 die are the same number, was quite the challenge.

In Alien RPG you can use two colors of d6s, and in Mutant Year Zero you can use three colors of d6s. In Vaesen it's just the one. The rules don't specify Base dice as separate from Stress dice, etc. The rules are more streamlined. And look at the dice they sell. Just cool looking d6s in a single color.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases