Valdemar D20?

Tsyr

Explorer
I'm posting here instead of house rules for now to sorta test the waters, as more people read this that might be interested in the project than read house rules... besides, right now, there ARE no rules...

I'm interested in making rules for running D20 campagins set in Mercedes Lackey's "Valdemar" setting... I'm wondering how many people here are familiar with her works, and how many people would be willing to help me? It is going to be a fair bit of work.

For the record, here is a quick list of things I AM doing/will need to do, and things I will NOT be doing:

I am NOT-

Trying to make this a full blown setting with maps and NPCs (beyond a few samples maybe), etc.

I am NOT interested in trying to make a contingency rule for every major rule-bending NPC (Vanyel Askevron, etc) in the books.

I am NOT interested in trying to make this "official" or get published or anything... this will be purely by fans, for fans.

What I AM going to/need to do-

Totaly new magic system, probably, although I'm going to look at the OGL system used by Sov. Stone for ideas, as certain aspects of it seem similar.

I AM going to have to make a few new core classes and prestige classes... I'll probably have to redesign the bard a bit, probably totaly throw out the existing mage, dump rangers, paladins, clerics... maybe not monks, there IS reference to a martial order of monks in some of the books...

I am going to have to make a system for dealing with The Gifts, such as the Bard gift, the Mage gift, etc...

I am going to have to make rules for mage nodes, companions, mindspeaking, focus stones, etc.

Well? Anyone interested?

Anyone at all? :)

Vanye

Explorer
I would recommend against it. Unless things have changed (and it's very possilbe, it's been years since I've been an active part of Misty's fandom), she required anyone doing anything with regards to her worlds to sign release forms, etc. Not because she's a bad person or anything, but her good friend/mentor Marion Zimmer Bradley was barred from publishing a novel due to substantial similarities to a fan-based story. Since then, she's been very wary of allowing fan-fiction and related materials.

Songwind

First Post
I second Vanye's suggestion

My girlfriend ran a "Valdemar Embassy Ball" party at a con and had to go through all kinds of rigmarol.

Tsyr

Explorer
/me shrugs

Like I said, this is basicly just going to exist in the confines of a message board discussion... If it comes to that, I will see about permision, but given that there is Valdemar fan fiction on the 'net, I figured it wasn't much of a problem...

And anything at a Con, from what I've learned going to anime cons, tends to involve a lot of rigamarol...

Last edited:

Alaska Roberts

First Post
Well if you do consider doing this, I dont think you need to dump clerics, they would be healers, as for paladins, best example i can think of is a sword sworn.

And I have heard the same about doing "stuff" for Valdamar is a complete pain in the....

There was book recently published for Valdemar, with all kinds of history and such, that I heard took FOREVER to get approved by Misty.

Alaska

Storminator

First Post
Thoughts/ideas: use templates for the Gifts, that way you can slap them on any old character.

For the mages, I would use sorcerers, and base a lot of the level dependent effects on the ley lines and nodes, etc.

I would definitely include clerics. Just because there weren't many mentioned in Valdemar doesn't mean there aren't any in the world. Lackey just has a bad attitude about priests, so they weren't allowed to be any of the good guys.

PS

Remove ads