• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vampire: The Masquerade - Help a New Player

Cedric

First Post
Someone else said it first...but to reiterate what they said...get the most current editions of the following books:

Core Rule Book
Camarilla Book
Sabbatt Book

Cedric

Fenrir

First Post
As stated above, the only really necessary ones are the core book, Guide to the Camarilla, and Guide to the Sabbat. I own a few clanbooks, and most are decent but not overwhelmingly good. The best are Assamite and either Ventrue or Lasombra.

Even just the core book will do for a while; you don't need to know everything.

bondetamp

First Post
Ask your storyteller whether he's going to run a Sabbat or a Carmarilla game and then buy that sect book. Fighting the Sabbat is more fun if you don't know every single detail about them.

And buy the core book, of course.

Decide on a character and get the clan book in question. You might also want to check out books and movies that aren't V:tM specific, but which can give you a better view of your character. If you're playing a Tremere, read Faust. If you're playing a Toreador, read some Oscar Wilde. If you're playing a Giovanni, watch Godfather (duh) and Sopranos. Secondary reading is often best because you can cheerfully rip it off without worrying about getting the details right. It is quite frequently more entertaining to read as well. :)

World of Darkness leaves me cold. I don't think that there is anything of value to a storyteller in that book unless he or she plays strictly by the metaplot, and even if the storyteller does, the book is so old that it is mostly out dated anyway. Go to the library and check out the city in Encyclopædia Britannica and some travel guides and work from there. I guarantee that you'll be far more happy with the result.

Remove ads