• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vampires and entering places.

Korgan26

First Post
My PC's are looking to tackle Durlag's tower. one question
Since Durlag himself is dead is there anything stoping a vampire from entering?
Thanks
Z

Tewligan

First Post
I don't think D&D vampires have to be invited to enter a home, do they? Is that a rule that I've been overlooking all these years?

Dark Jezter

First Post
Tewligan said:
I don't think D&D vampires have to be invited to enter a home, do they? Is that a rule that I've been overlooking all these years?

D&D vampires do need permission before they enter a building by somebody who has the authority to do so, unless it's a public building, since those are open to everyone.

So unless Durlag's tower has a new owner who claims authority over the place, I'd say that it would be okay for a vampire to enter.

tzor

First Post
One of the problems with Vampires is that the rules tend to be vague. Basically a couple of vampire folklore ideas were thrown into the rules without any thought into how they would be implemented in a game. In any event this is probably going to require a judgement call.

What is a "home or other building?" Who qualifies as having "the authority to do so?" What is the definition of "public spaces?"

I think abandoned buildings might be considered "public spaces." I think one needs to look at meta-physical definitions and not legal definitions to get a definition of a home and those who have the authority to do so. Personally I would suggest a home is where the living "live." Those who live in the home have the authority to let vampires in. I would define living as both eating and sleeping over a long period. Public spaces is still a problem. The dining area of a public inn is clearly a public space. But the room in an inn that is rented to the same person for over a month is a grey area. If the person eats in that same room I might be tempted to suggest it be considered a "home." This is only one case where you have to basically determine the answers on a seat of the pants basis, because the vampire rules are vague.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
tzor said:
One of the problems with Vampires is that the rules tend to be vague. Basically a couple of vampire folklore ideas were thrown into the rules without any thought into how they would be implemented in a game. In any event this is probably going to require a judgement call.

True. In D&D it's not clear that Vampires even have to drink blood.

-z

Tewligan

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
D&D vampires do need permission before they enter a building by somebody who has the authority to do so, unless it's a public building, since those are open to everyone.
Huh, I had no idea. The things you learn!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
tzor said:
I think abandoned buildings might be considered "public spaces." .

Nope Abandoned buildings are NOT public spaces - because buildings are part of an 'estate' and only HEIRS can claim an Estate. For instance if the Castle of Prince Bob has been empty for 200 yrs it doesn't mean anyone can move in and claim it as home. Only a legitmate heir of Prince Bob has a legitimate claim to the Castle.
It may be that people have been going into the Castle and it might even be occupied by Goblins - they are all tresspassers with no legitmate Authority.

So I'd say that a Vampire must be invited by the Owner of the Building and/or his/her heirs (if the Owner is incapable (eg Dead))

It becomes interesting of course if the State has declared the Castle of Prince Bob a national monument - then perhaps it is public space

and the Robin Hood scenario (ie Prince John occupying the place of King Richard) is another case - Does Prince John have Authority as the Kings Brother even though his claim is illegitimate as long as the King lives?

Remove ads