D&D 5E Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft (new D&D5e book)

imagineGod

Legend
Finally, the book that is worthy of your money. And the alternate cover with silver foil is a beautiful work of art, worthy of Count Strahd von Zarovich. Available on Amazon for pre-order. Expected in May 18th this year.

The 256-page volume details 30 new and reimagined realms from the Ravenloft multiverse, packaged as micro-settings for your next campaign. Each realm comes complete with its own unique villain for players to fight against, plus heroes new and old to fight alongside.
Fans of the popular Curse of Strahd campaign will know Ravenloft as the lair of the vampire Strahd von Zharovich, but it’s also the name of an expansive campaign setting published throughout the 1990s. Van Richten’s Guide will detail the many realms scattered through the mists outside of Strahd’s valley of Barovia, and even include guidance for creating your own realm of terror. There are plenty of extra options for creating characters tied to those realms, plus an all new 20-page adventure called The House of Lament.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strahd_von_Zarovich
cover_alternate_van_rtichens_guide_to_ravenloft.jpg

Essafah

Explorer
I am very excited for this book. Everything that was detailed in the preview (30 domains, the dark lords, the new subclasses, etc.) I am looking forward to. I loved Ravenloft back in the 90s so I am eager to see how WOTC does with the touch up. The only portion of the book that kind of boggles me is it evidently has a large section devoted to setting safe boundaries. I don't feel that large of a section should be warranted. The setting is horror but per WOTC made for all audiences so is a DM wants to make to portray it more gritty, sexual, visceral etc then the DM would discuss it with their players the same as in any campaign world that they wanted to make darker. I think a warning box in the game saying something along the lines of horror can explore darker themes so be sure to discuss the elements you intend to introduce to the game with your players should be sufficient. Having a large section devoted to that means less room for mechanics stuff like more subclasses and backgrounds and/or less fluff stuff like domain descriptions and so forth. Regardless, I am happy this is coming.

imagineGod

Legend
I am very excited for this book. Everything that was detailed in the preview (30 domains, the dark lords, the new subclasses, etc.) I am looking forward to. I loved Ravenloft back in the 90s so I am eager to see how WOTC does with the touch up. The only portion of the book that kind of boggles me is it evidently has a large section devoted to setting safe boundaries. I don't feel that large of a section should be warranted. The setting is horror but per WOTC made for all audiences so is a DM wants to make to portray it more gritty, sexual, visceral etc then the DM would discuss it with their players the same as in any campaign world that they wanted to make darker. I think a warning box in the game saying something along the lines of horror can explore darker themes so be sure to discuss the elements you intend to introduce to the game with your players should be sufficient. Having a large section devoted to that means less room for mechanics stuff like more subclasses and backgrounds and/or less fluff stuff like domain descriptions and so forth. Regardless, I am happy this is coming.
I am not a fan of safe boundaries in heroic high fantasy, but in this case with many horror themes and newbie Dungeon Master's, this is important before they turn a fun game into a sadistic dungeon through ignorance.

imagineGod

Legend
Like I was in a horror game and instead of the players helping one another likcwecll xowct in high fanrasy (cleric, please heal me) , each individual just wanted to survive and threw comrades to the dogs. That is not how you play Dungeons and Dragons, and hence if this book encourages such horror, then exoectations need to be clear.

Essafah

Explorer
Like I was in a horror game and instead of the players helping one another likcwecll xowct in high fanrasy (cleric, please heal me) , each individual just wanted to survive and threw comrades to the dogs. That is not how you play Dungeons and Dragons, and hence if this book encourages such horror, then exoectations need to be clear.

I understand your concerns. The same thing can happen in a standard game however. It sounds like people were perhaps playing evil alignments. Many DMs don't allow evil alignments. Essentially what I am saying is that sounds like a problem with individual players and to some degree the GM not being clear on what the game was ex. "Hey guys this game I am starting is still heroic fantasy but darker elements and themes will be explored". I also will reinforce that I am not saying no mention of safe boundaries should exist but I think a nice paragraph would suffice more than that just seems overkill.

Remove ads