• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Vanishing Goblin] Open Call for Writers [Notifications Sent]

DMAndrew

First Post
Varianor Abroad said:
Thank you for the opportunity. I did read the full text at the site. It did not specify though. If we intend to send more than one proposal/initial submission by the Feb deadline, do you prefer individual emails or one email? Thank you in advance for your time.

You can include any number of submissions in a single e-mail. I know that MS Word documents or text e-mails aren't very big, but keep in mind that I have an individual e-mail limit of 5 mb (of course, if your e-mail is that big, you've probably sent me about a hundred submissions).

My actual mailbox is much bigger, though, so I'd be very surprised if it fills up. The only time that the mailbox might actually fill up is overnight, so if you get a message that the box is full, just send it before midnight on the next day.

Andrew Luther
Vanishing Goblin Inc.

inkmonkeys

First Post
Questions:

Will you automatically, no-questions-asked delete any submissions greater than 300 words?

Since you will only contact the "winners" by email and will post on your site as well, would you do us the favor of posting here, as well, once you have contacted everyone? This way, those who are not chosen but do not peruse your site often will be able to stop worrying.

Thanks,

DMAndrew

First Post
inkmonkeys said:
Questions:

Will you automatically, no-questions-asked delete any submissions greater than 300 words?

Since you will only contact the "winners" by email and will post on your site as well, would you do us the favor of posting here, as well, once you have contacted everyone? This way, those who are not chosen but do not peruse your site often will be able to stop worrying.

Thanks,

No, I won't be automatically deleting any submissions that go over 300 words. But do keep a few things in mind:

1. I have already received a number of submissions. Due to limitations on my time, when I review each submission I'll be looking for that core idea or concept that shines out at me. If the submission is really long, I may have to just skim the information in the hope of finding out what it is really about.

2. Most really memorable encounters can usually be summed up in a few sentences. They revolve around a single, unique concept or idea. If a particular encounter is so complicated or convoluted that it can't be basically described in 300 words or less, then I have some doubts that it can be _fully_ described in 6 or 7 pages.

3. Because of the projects that Vanishing Goblin is planning to work on over the next year, I'm also looking for good people with whom I may want to work more than once in the future. These are people with good writing skills, people with good ideas, people who take care with their submissions, and people who can follow directions. Those are the people that I'll be contacting directly _after_ this project to see if they're interested in writing other projects for us.

And yes, I'll post here when I've contacted the people who will go into the first Rooms With A View. I _may_ also send out a blanket e-mail to everyone who submitted.

Keep those submissions coming.

Andrew Luther
Vanishing Goblin Inc.

KingOfChaos

First Post
Actually, .rtf usually makes the file size larger. I use it because its easily convertable to just about any word processor format and the fact that I can't open word documents.

I will look into send you guys something, Andrew. However, I am working on my own books extensively at the moment to finally get something out in my own company's name. So I am not sure if I will send something or not.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
In my experience it makes them smaller, RTF or Rich Text Format strips unnessasary formating and characters from .doc files (the invisible ones that you cant normally see) cutting down on file size.

For me, when converting a big doc file its cut the size down.

Err, sorry for hijacking the thread andrew. ^_^. Hope the info helps.

clockworkjoe

First Post
ArthurQ said:
In my experience it makes them smaller, RTF or Rich Text Format strips unnessasary formating and characters from .doc files (the invisible ones that you cant normally see) cutting down on file size.

For me, when converting a big doc file its cut the size down.

Err, sorry for hijacking the thread andrew. ^_^. Hope the info helps.

Wait, do submissions have to be emailed as a separate attachment? The guidelines did not say anything about that. I just included mine in the email itself.

trentonjoe

Explorer
clockworkjoe said:
Wait, do submissions have to be emailed as a separate attachment? The guidelines did not say anything about that. I just included mine in the email itself.

I sent mine as a word file. Is that okay?

DMAndrew

First Post
clockworkjoe said:

I didn't specify that it had to be a separate attachment because it really doesn't matter to me. 300 or so words isn't too much to put into an e-mail, but many people do it in MS Word so that they can use the spell and grammar checkers. As long as I can read it in Outlook or Word, I don't care whether it's a text e-mail, a standard Word document, an RTF document, a plain text document done in Notepad, or anything else of that nature.

The only reason that I mentioned anything about my mailbox filling up is that I was going to be unable to check the office e-mail for about 72 hours, and these submissions aren't the only attachments that I receive on a regular basis. That was an unusual occurrence, however. If my mailbox is ever full, just re-send the submission again the next day.

As for the final submission itself, the people who are selected will be given specific guidelines on how to send it in to me.

Andrew Luther
Vanishing Goblin Inc.

Remove ads