D&D 5E Vecna's Dread Counterspell vs. Counterspell -- What's the Diff?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
But he also needs to utter a dread word, which seems difficult to do in response to a spell you don’t know is being cast. The question in my mind is, does he know a spell is being cast if it’s subtle and has no components? I’m on the fence about that.
Is the creature casting a spell?
Can Vecna see the creature?

If both answers are a yes the sentence as structured means Vecna can use Dread Counterspell.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
But he also needs to utter a dread word, which seems difficult to do in response to a spell you don’t know is being cast. The question in my mind is, does he know a spell is being cast if it’s subtle and has no components? I’m on the fence about that.

While it SHOULD have been in Vecna's actual stat block, the included adventure clarifies that Vecna is extra sensitive to spellcasting (doesn't need an arcana check etc.). So I think it's justified, to she can be fluffed how ever you like.

And again, Vecna is already not a strong CR26, this interpretation at least helps a bit.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
While it SHOULD have been in Vecna's actual stat block, the incised adventure clarifies that Vecna is extra sensitive to spellcasting (doesn't need an arcana check etc.). So I think it's justified, to she can be fluffed how ever you like.
Yeah, which was pointed out in the others thread and moved me from “convinced he wouldn’t know” to “on the fence.”
And again, Vecna is already not a strong CR26, this interpretation at least helps a bit.
This argument is not convincing to me, and in fact makes me less inclined to agree because it seems like the people on the “he knows and can use it” side are motivated as much by wanting Vecna to be a strong opponent as by trying to interpret what’s actually there.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, which was pointed out in the others thread and moved me from “convinced he wouldn’t know” to “on the fence.”

This argument is not convincing to me, and in fact makes me less inclined to agree because it seems like the people on the “he knows and can use it” side are motivated as much by wanting Vecna to be a strong opponent as by trying to interpret what’s actually there.

I've never been much for:

What is the absolute "right" answer for everyone?

I'm much more concerned for what is the right answer for me and my campaign and what makes sense for that. And is the monster effective, with the interpretation presented - absolutely played a part (because if the answer was no it's not effective, I'd change it anyway).

Remove ads