D&D 5E Versatile Fighting Style

Laurefindel

Legend
True, but that wasn't the point. You get the +1 AC (same as defensive style) but also any potential benefits of the finesse/heavy properties (depends on the game of course). For instance in our game, we have house-rules for heavy that makes this style strong. Hence, my words of caution--which is all they were. ;)
Hey, it's always better to err on the side of caution!

Your house rules however, no matter how good they are, should not weigh much in this conversation ;)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Hey, it's always better to err on the side of caution!

Your house rules however, no matter how good they are, should not weigh much in this conversation ;)
House-rules aside, you still have things like GWM which given the heavy property would allow you to also add the -5/+10 option. For the finesse option, it opens up Defensive Duelist (not a great feat, granted...) but that would bump AC even more.

I agree I don't think +1 AC is broken at all, but as you agreed, "better to err on the side of caution!" :D

Laurefindel

Legend
House-rules aside, you still have things like GWM which given the heavy property would allow you to also add the -5/+10 option. For the finesse option, it opens up Defensive Duelist (not a great feat, granted...) but that would bump AC even more.

I agree I don't think +1 AC is broken at all, but as you agreed, "better to err on the side of caution!" :D
GWM would be better off with a two-handed sword + defense: more damage, already heavy, and more consistent AC bonus.

DEX users get +1 damage (d10 vs d8) and a slightly less reliable defense fighting style. So defense is better, duelist is better, this one gives you a bit of both...

Caution is advised but in this case I don't think it's to bad. It would be good on monks however. I need to see if other builds would disproportionally benefit from this.

aco175

Legend
I would caution giving a bonus to hit or a bonus to AC. I find it is hard to know which one you/ the player are using and we end up with both all the time. You could use a coin to mark which one is being used, but it is easy to forget and come up with another +1 when needed or miss wildly and then decide to +1AC instead.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Wanna just say again how much I appreciate the feedback the past 24 hrs. I've been hesitant to post anything like this after some disappointing discourse in the past on these boards. This has been a very fruitful exercise in design discussion. Slainte!
I'm glad this was a more positive experience for you! Sometimes communication on boards can be difficult and easy to misinterpret on either side, so generally I try to assume most people want to contribute or are simply expressing their counter-views as a point of caution towards game balance.

Of course, my ignore list has grown over the years... so what do I know? ;)

Xeviat

Hero
Versatile Fighting Style
If fighting with a weapon in one hand and nothing in your other hand, or if using a versatile weapon in two hands if you are not barred from using heavy weapons, you may perform a grab or push attack as a bonus action when you use your action to attack with the one-handed or versatile weapon.

This speaks to why you would use a versatile weapon; to keep a hand free for other things.

Remove ads