• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Vicious Mockery

Nemio

First Post
How is the damage dealing explained ingame?

Do the words of the bards actually damage in/to the mind of the enemy with the use of magic?

ccooke

Adventurer
How is the damage dealing explained ingame?

Do the words of the bards actually damage in/to the mind of the enemy with the use of magic?

It's psychic damage - think of it as the bard lacing their words with magic. If the target fails their Wisdom save (I like to think of it as the mockery getting a reaction, distracting them so the magic can slip into their mind and wreak a little havoc) they have a direct assault on the mind that causes pain, disorients, saps energy, etc.

Nemio

First Post
It's psychic damage - think of it as the bard lacing their words with magic. If the target fails their Wisdom save (I like to think of it as the mockery getting a reaction, distracting them so the magic can slip into their mind and wreak a little havoc) they have a direct assault on the mind that causes pain, disorients, saps energy, etc.

Interesting, that makes sense.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
???? Explain?

Oh just being silly. I know your overall stance on 4e, and it's nice to see you liking a 4e creation that's been pulled forward. So many people seem to get locked into camps, and can't express appreciation for anything from the other camps. You did. I thought I'd respond with silliness. Because, reasons. :)

I also like Vicious Mockery. And it's place as an explicit spell with magic instead of only words is an important part of why I like it.

Thaumaturge.

BryonD

Hero
Oh just being silly. I know your overall stance on 4e, and it's nice to see you liking a 4e creation that's been pulled forward. So many people seem to get locked into camps, and can't express appreciation for anything from the other camps. You did. I thought I'd respond with silliness. Because, reasons. :)

I also like Vicious Mockery. And it's place as an explicit spell with magic instead of only words is an important part of why I like it.

Thaumaturge.
I'm certain there are more nuggets to be found. :)

Chaltab

Explorer
Even if you don't like the mechanics there's plenty of great fluff to be found in 4E powers, Vicious Mockery just being one example.

Remove ads