• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vikings D20

JimAde

First Post
Jolly Giant said:
That is an excellent idea! I'm touching upon Ragnarok in Midgard and I was planning on going into more detail in Beyond Midgard, but a separate book on campaigns during and after Ragnarok is well worth considering.

Vikings D20: Ragnarok -sounds cool, doesn't it? :cool:
Yes. Yes it does. :D

I'm not that knowledgable about Norse mythology, but isn't the post-Ragnarok period pretty open? As I recall, only a few gods will survive, but the world will be a much better place. Other than that I don't know what is supposed to go on.

Roudi

First Post
What will happen during Ragnarok is pretty detailed. What happens afterward is pretty much left to the imagination. That's why I thought it would make a great setting... you could do some really creative things with it, without worrying about "adhering to the story".

I have plenty good ideas, and some decent d20 writing experience, and wouldn't mind contributing work to such an endeavour.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
I think about eight people bought the AD&D Viking Handbook and I was one of them.
Me too! :)
This does sound very interesting. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for Viking d20; I'm a sucker for historical gaming.

devilish

Explorer
Dying to see this -- can't wait. Please keep us posted.

Roudi said:
You already know this intrigues me, so I don't think I need to restate that.

Have you thought that, perhaps after Beyond Midgard and whatever else you have planned, you might do a post-Ragnarok supplement? I was kicking around ideas for a post-Ragnarok setting for a while, but my dedication to current projects has kept me from exploring it.

Isn't there a part of the lore that post-Ragnarok, everything just begins all over
again -- that the whole pantheon is caught in one continuous loop.
(or have I been polluted by pop-Norse-fiction.?)

LeifVignirsson

First Post
As an Odinist living in Santa Cruz, I am QUITE thrilled to have this announcement happen. You can count me in for plunking down money as soon as you are ready, even if it means that I don't eat for a few days...

PDF, print, Runes in stone... whatever... I am ALL game!

Jolly Giant

First Post
devilish said:
Isn't there a part of the lore that post-Ragnarok, everything just begins all over again -- that the whole pantheon is caught in one continuous loop.
(or have I been polluted by pop-Norse-fiction.?)

I'm afraid you're suffering from some pollution, yeah. According to Voluspaa ("The Sybil's Predictions") Surt, the lord of the firegiants will burn the nine worlds away with his flaming greatsword (must be a flaming burst weapon, at least! ;) ), but a new world will rise from the ashes of the old.

A small handfull of the deities will survive Ragnarok, among them Odin's son Vidar (who I'm named after :cool: ), others will be reborn. These will continue to watch over mankind in the "new and improved" world. It should be like a "heaven on earth" type of thing.

That being the case, a post-Ragnarok campaign probably wouldn't be all that exciting. :p Campaigning through Ragnarok, on the other hand, is an epic campaign idea. (Just kidding Roudi, I'm still very interested in hearing from you. :) )

Last edited:

Jolly Giant

First Post
I'm so glad to see that there's an interest for Vikings D20. :D To give everyone an idea of what it is about, I've just cut-and-pasted together a small preview for you. It's not much, but it's a taste of what is to come:

Attachments

• Midgard preview.pdf
    47.8 KB · Views: 426

scourger

Explorer
It looks interesting--enough so that I viewed the Vikings d20 preview. I just read The lAst Hero in Scandinavia, and I would love a chnace to run that module. An adventure like that is just the ticket for me to get in some Viking D&D. Will Viking d20 have any adventure modules published?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads