Vile PrC Revisions

Pants

First Post
I've been working on revisions of the Vile PrC's in the BoVD for sometime. While I liked the ideas in the PrC's, the actual executions were sadly lacking. The power-levels were all over the place and most of them lacked a cohesive design, many just seemed to be a collection of disparate abilities and tacked-on spell-like abilities. So I tried to make them more interesting and cohesive. Hopefully, I've succeeded somewhat.

Thus, I present the first of my Vile PrC Revisions: The Ooze Lord of Juiblex.

I uploaded it as .pdf because formating it for the board is a general pain in the arse. If anyoen wants it in a normal .doc file, I can put it up too.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• OozeLord.pdf
    54.3 KB · Views: 73

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
There's a few little errors, both to do with examples. The constricting pseudopod feature mentions that it deals corrupting touch damage, but since the constriction is the third ability in a chain, and there are only three times the class grants touch of the ooze, this situation would never occur.

Similarly, but to a more minor degree, the improved vile spew ability has a prereq of class level 8th, but uses a 6th level thrall in the example of how the vile damage works.

Just little things - the class looks great.

Demiurge out.

Pants

First Post
Nifft said:
Nothing wrong with having a little choice ;)

I'm taking some of them in completely different directions (the Oozelord for one) and the Disciple of Mephistopheles (Hellfire Adept of Mephistopheles) is getting revised as more of a spellcaster class.

demiurge1138 said:
There's a few little errors, both to do with examples. The constricting pseudopod feature mentions that it deals corrupting touch damage, but since the constriction is the third ability in a chain, and there are only three times the class grants touch of the ooze, this situation would never occur.

Similarly, but to a more minor degree, the improved vile spew ability has a prereq of class level 8th, but uses a 6th level thrall in the example of how the vile damage works.
Thanks.
I switched class abilities around a couple of times so little things like that escaped my notice. :)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Some would say choice is good... but in this case, it's clearly eeeeevil! :)

While I like the idea of the different abilities one can choose, some seem significantly better than others. Who's not going to choose immunity to critical hits (etc.) at 10th level? Shouldn't you just make that the "capstone" ability?

It seems like most of your choices are between two paths -- why not come up with "slime path" like a Ranger's Combat Path choices? (So, the Oozemaster picks one ability-tree, and you don't have to mess around with prerequisites.) Makes it easier to balance IMHO.

Cheers, -- N

Pants

First Post
Nifft said:
Some would say choice is good...
Choice is always good. ;)

It seems like most of your choices are between two paths -- why not come up with "slime path" like a Ranger's Combat Path choices? (So, the Oozemaster picks one ability-tree, and you don't have to mess around with prerequisites.) Makes it easier to balance IMHO.

Cheers, -- N
That's a very good idea. I'll have to mess around with the abilities and whatnot though. See how it turns out.

Pants

First Post
Here's the Revised Ooze Lord

I decided not to go with the Rangeresque Ability Chain and just stuck with what I originally had (I liked it better that way and it further emphasizes that Ooze Lords embrace chaos with both arms and pseudopods open...). I also streamlined the abilities more and *hopefully* made them all equally viable (no more crummy 'Toughness feat for free!').

I also put up the Hellfire Adept of Mephistopheles.

Tell me what you think.

EDIT: Changed some screwed up text.

Attachments

• OozeLord.pdf
    54.6 KB · Views: 109
  • HellfireAdept.pdf
    46.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

I like your Hellfire Adept but I won't use it as is. I'm using a different version of Mephistopheles and a different PrC for his followers. Though I will modify it for a demon named Merodach, Lord of the Abyssal Flame.

Remove ads